poison ivy

Old 05-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Cool Baths will help with the itch. (NO HOT WATER) My DR. prescribed "topicort" When I get a blister I put topicort on and cover it with a bandaid. I've had several bouts of this nasty stuff. Now, as soon as I get more than one blister, I head to the doctor.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM

I feel yuour pain. I had it early this spring and almost went mad from itching. Dr gave me a steriod shot and that helped some.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM

Ditto the bleach....there is also a product sold at Wally World and maybe Target in the camping department in a yellow tube that is a dab-on liquid for bugbites but it works really well on PI. Can't remember the name but it's something obvious....like Anti-Itch or something like that. I am really sensitive to anything itchy outdoors (bugs, plants, you name it) and it works well for me.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:58 PM

I look at it from 10 feet away and I am covered. I am lucky and live on the coast and can get salt water - it is the best for drying it up. Pool water works too, but not as fast.

Aveeno has a bath soak - oatmeal based and just soak in it. I live in the tub when I have it. Have been known to sleep with white goves on so I don't itch it.

Have been told if you get those patches that "detox you" it will pull it out of your system.

Good luck 0 take alot of benedryl and sleep!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Bless your heart. A critical piece is to keep the areas dry. I have used bleach and it worked; however, did not have it on my face. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:06 PM

From another extreme PI sufferer. In addition to the benedryl recommended by doctors, I have had success taking a hot bath with alpha keri bath oil. Very soothing when the itch becomes unbearable. Pat yourself dry very lightly so as not to remove the oil.

Something that I plan to try the next time I have a major exposure is goats milk soap with jewel weed. I've had a person swear it works to reduce the breakout when exposed as well as reduce the discomfort when a breakout does occur.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:15 PM

there is a product out that is called calagel they also make a wash hubby lived with the bottle when he got in it
Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 PM

We have bars of brown soap at every sink & shower. Fels Naptha is one brand. When we come in from gsrdening or being near poison ivy, we scrub with it. We also lather it onto the infected area & let it dry on the skin. When all finished you may need some lotion for dry skin, but it seems to work! Just getting over a nasty case!
For many years I was the one who never got poison ivy. When we moved here 35 yrs ago, I was pulling 2" & 3" vines out of locust trees & got it for the 1st time. I was told there are different strains, & once you get one you get all the others! Also, I have certain garden areas where there no longer is the ivy itself, but the oil remains in the soil for years. I now wear gloves!
Good luck!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM

I am allergic to PI myself and have had bad cases of it to the point that my eyes swelled shut. I use the cordizone blister pack but I also use spray starch on it. It will seal the area sprayed, it contains corn starch to help dry it up, it is clear so it does not look bad on you. I have recommended this for years. I got my worst case by walking thru smoke and the last time I was picking blackberries for Mom to make a pie. I don't go near the stuff anymore if I can help it. Just reading this made me itchy all over. I sure hope you feel better soon. Wash and change clothes and linens often. Try that spray starch on an area!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 PM

You can get poison ivy from the root as I did when planting bulbs in late fall. Also got it from cat after he walked thru it. Learn what it looks like, 3 leaves on red stem. Wash with cool water and Octagon soap you can buy in grocery store. Good luck, take care.
Linda