Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Broadcloth 100% cotton >

Broadcloth 100% cotton

Broadcloth 100% cotton

Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

I use Kona all the time. According to info I found on the net it is 100% broadcloth.

Kona cotton is a premium, 100% cotton broadcloth from Robert Kaufman Fabrics.

I have also seen other brands broad cloth for quilting. Just besure to check if it is 100% cotton unless you do not mind a blend. Many traditional Hawaiian quilts have polly cotton blends.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Broadcloth comes in different weights so look for one that has a nice hand or feel to it, not to soft or stiff. It should have a nice drape without being able to see through it. Good luck with project!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 PM

Thank you very much ladies. This one I bought is 100% cotton and feels a little heavier then the normal quilting material I was looking at. Because the colors are so good in the purple and gold I think I will continue with it now..Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 04:26 AM

Broadcloth is fine for machine quilting but you don't want to try hand quilting with it. I hand quilted broadcloth one time and pushing a needle through time after time leaves you with sore aching hands. Machine quilting hasn't been a problem for me and I FMQ on a regular older 2010 Singer machine.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I think it would be fine!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Hi from your neighbor in Baton Rouge!!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Google: broadcloth fabric definition

From what I understood, it's the way the fabric is woven that makes it "broadcloth" - not what it's made of
Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 AM

I've used broadcloth, and it was 100% cotton, and it definitely wasn't thin!! I've used it in a quilt and it was fine, (pieced and quilted on a domestic machine). I just try to use similar weight fabrics next to it when piecing.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

no=not at all...i'm a long-armer and have quilted many quilts people used broadclothes in---tops and backs-
and as far as the weight- just like other cottons- there are heavy, medium and lightweight broadcloth's...
many people use them- for the color selection- and sometimes because of a good sale...
you can use anything you want in YOUR quilt- just make sure different fabrics can be cared for together-(you don't want to mix a wash in cold only with a dry clean only. as long as the fabrics can be cared for together they can go together- and even sometimes (wallhangings) you don't even have to worry about that.
Originally Posted by msjenny
Would a long arm quilter cringe of they were asked to put it on their machine or turn it down due to the fabric?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

there are different broadclothes on the market- there are cotton broadcloths, poly broadcloths, cotton/poly blend broadcloth, rayon broadcloth,
don't just (assume) every broadcloth is the same as one you saw once---there are lots of different fabric contents- weights- properties, weaves, thread counts...
don't just (turn your back) on a fabric that may be wonderful to use because you (heard once) it was too cheap, too thin, too-what ever---just like other fabrics- there are lots to choose from- some more expensive than others- some better quality than others- some made out of (different-stuff)