Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by jan on 446
I am on the lookout for a good electric all metal machine. I am leaning towards Rocketeer, or maybe a Japan clone. Any suggestions? Yes, I know those are "true vintage" but they are built so much better. I do have two treadle machines in cabinets and haven't had the time to clean them up etc. One is a Singer H-15 (I think) and the other is a "the Free #5. Both sets of decals are in wonderful shape. I hope to be able to start working on them this summer.
Jan on 446
Jan is depends on what you want to do. The Rocketeer has 22 decorative cams so you can do piecing and decorative stitches. The Japan clone's usually are just like either a 15 or 99 - so no decorative stitches, although, you can get the Japanese machines with zig zag. Personally, I'd get one of each if you ever find them reasonably prices then you'd have a great FM machine with the 15 clone and one for decorative stitches with the Rocketeer!

Nancy
Old 05-25-2011, 05:09 AM

I am looking at a Singer 66-14 model machine. I was wondering if any of you have an opinion on that model. What is it capable of doing, like more than straight stitch, are bobbins easily available, etc?
It comes with it's original cabinet for $100.
The owner said that it has a knee controller. Can it be changed to a foot pedal?
Thanks,
Jan on 446
Jan the 66-14 has a side clamping foot so you can use any low shank foot - same as the FW. It also has reverse! To me getting a 66 with reverse would be really cool. I have 2 66's - one is a 66-1 with side clamping feet and no reverse, the other one is a 66-6 - still side clamping and no reverse! Any machine with a knee controller can be switched to a foot control.

Nancy
Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Would I be crazy to not go grab this for $25? Even if for just a shelf ornament?
http://fresno.craigslist.org/atq/2399219869.html
That machine got 'grabbed' immediately! I couldn't even see it as the ad was pulled!

Nancy
Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Hahahaha!!! You guys are hysterical!!! I could come up and join the group, too....only a 4 hour drive for me!! And my brother-in-law and wife life in Stockton. Maybe I could get DH to come up, too...he is a quilter and has interest in machinery. Although he still doesn't "get" my growing fascination with old machines!! :-)
Janice come up and join us or better yet come up to the Treadleon function in September! I bet your DH would love to see Ray White and the demo's they are going to have!

Nancy
Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Is there a link to find the type of model 15 my friend has? We found how to date it and the model but there are model 15-91 and 15-99 and 15-66 right?? How can we tell what hers is?
Randa here is Sandman's identification chart for the 15. This might help http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm

Also, if the machine is a hand crank, it is a 15-89. If it is a treadle and came as a treadle originally, it is a 15-88. If the machine has a potted motor it is a 15-91, if the machine is belt driven it is a 15-90. Hope this helps!

Nancy
Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
And also the link for manuals. She didn't get anything with her machine.
Here is ISMACS. There are free manuals on this site. Just scroll down until you get to the 15's! http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...sses-1-99.html

Nancy
Old 05-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by incoming2me
I had posted my latest find the other day in the Pictures section..

a 1923 Singer 99 Hand Crank

...but now I have a question.

The face plate seems a bit grimy, I'd almost say it looks like nicotine film of some sort.. but there is no odor.
It's just a yellowish brown film.

I've read about non-pumice GoJo and OxyClean.
Are those just for the Black part or the face place/wheel/etc as well?

I just want to make sure I'm not going to do irreparable damage!

And.. Do you think the wheel is supposed to be more polished chrome-like or just metal?

I've not actually sewn anything on her yet - but she turns as smooth as silk and so quietly I am amazed!

This is one of my dream machines - found it last Thursday on Craigslist for $80. :)
Wow, beautiful machine! Yes, you can use Goop even on the face plate. Have you tried just polishing her with a chrome cleaner on the face plate? I wouldn't do too much to the hand wheel unless it is rusty.

Nancy
Old 05-25-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Well, I am up and walking, (slowly) but the 301 is still a little over an hour away. The other scores are 1 new treadle, two new cabinet machines and a portable, all still in the van, so I haven't gotten the numbers to run date checks. Two are a brand with which I am unfamiliar, made in Japan, and still old iron beauties. Now, I've just made arrangements with a seller another hour and a half from here for two treadle heads, to go into the two empty treadle bases I have. He'll be coming into town on the 6th, and will deliver, so I won't have hands on for them for a while either. The 4 machines cost a total of $140, and got a zillion attachments and Grist attachment kits, including button hole. The two heads are $50 for the pair.

Insurance does not cover the new machines, even though they were "hospital acquired affections."
Wow, you were busy while you were laid up! Geeze, you are getting to be like Miz Johnny! Are you also piling machines in the basement? It sounds like you got some really good deals, and it sounds like Christmas is coming soon to your house in June!

Nancy
Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the information.
I requested seller to send better pictures as the ones she had were way too dark to see the machine well.
I'm still fighting with my head and heart whether or not to get it. One minute I tell myself to get over wanting it, and go fix up my H-15 treadle in the basement!
I think better pics of it will help, that and the price of gas to go get it. It's about a 5 hour round trip.
Jan
Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 AM

It's about a 5 hour round trip.
Jan
Sorry, this always makes me grin -- to get to anywhere of a decent size from here it's 4 hours --- 1 way -- I have driven 5 hours round trip for lunch