Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 AM

If only I had the Knowledge of Miz Johnny. The pile of machines in the basement (about 20) are the portables. A mix of modern and perhaps a couple of touch & throws, which I use for loaners and on-the-road classes. They are the reason I'm trying to collect the 221's & 301 class machines. The darling little students like to push buttons and turn knobs, ("But I didn't touch anything . . .") then I spend the rest of the class trying to trouble shoot machines, rather than teaching sewing.

We'll be getting a real 4-H center in July, and I can move most of these cabinets into the Life Skills Lab. By not having the kids in my house, I'll regain my personal sewing space. I'll miss the kids being here, but It'll be good to see my own space back. (DH laughs, I can't have space - I'll just fill it up.)

I do wish he's get the machines out of the van so I can start cleaning them and get pictures and inventory. I know one of the machines needs to be rewired, one needs a belt, and the treadle needs a belt, but otherwise, I think they are intact and will be easy to get going. Oh, one of the miscellaneous items with the attachments was a bobbin tire. One of the machines I got before I had surgery needs a tire. BINGO

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by olebat
Well, I am up and walking, (slowly) but the 301 is still a little over an hour away. The other scores are 1 new treadle, two new cabinet machines and a portable, all still in the van, so I haven't gotten the numbers to run date checks. Two are a brand with which I am unfamiliar, made in Japan, and still old iron beauties. Now, I've just made arrangements with a seller another hour and a half from here for two treadle heads, to go into the two empty treadle bases I have. He'll be coming into town on the 6th, and will deliver, so I won't have hands on for them for a while either. The 4 machines cost a total of $140, and got a zillion attachments and Grist attachment kits, including button hole. The two heads are $50 for the pair.

Insurance does not cover the new machines, even though they were "hospital acquired affections."
Wow, you were busy while you were laid up! Geeze, you are getting to be like Miz Johnny! Are you also piling machines in the basement? It sounds like you got some really good deals, and it sounds like Christmas is coming soon to your house in June!

Nancy
Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Oh, one of the miscellaneous items with the attachments was a bobbin tire. One of the machines I got before I had surgery needs a tire. BINGO
Now wasn't that nice of them to throw in all those other goodies with your new tire!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Would I be crazy to not go grab this for $25? Even if for just a shelf ornament?
http://fresno.craigslist.org/atq/2399219869.html
Totally crazy!!! Run....don't walk, those decals look just great. I'd like to get a treadle next, either a Red-eye or Sphinx...not sure the bank account will agree though.

Fingers crossed you get it!
Bronwyn ;-)
Never heard from the seller. Listing has been deleted. :(
Oh no!!!! How rude, I know exactly how you feel because last week I replied to a Freecycle Ad where the man had a 'treadle and another Singer both in good condition' that he wanted to go to a good home and be saved from landfill. I couldn't collect on Sunday as per his request because I was a couple of hours away but promised I would be there on Monday around lunchtime. And just like your lister....no reply!!

I couldn't do that to anyone, being courteous costs absolutely nothing.

Hope there's a better one in your future.

Bronwyn ;-)
It is frustrating when the ad doesn't give a phone number & all you can do is send an e-mail. I think it takes longer to make contact than if we could just pick up the phone & get it over with.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
Originally Posted by jan on 446
It's about a 5 hour round trip.
Jan
Sorry, this always makes me grin -- to get to anywhere of a decent size from here it's 4 hours --- 1 way -- I have driven 5 hours round trip for lunch
Hope the lunch was good and ended with something chocolate!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Would I be crazy to not go grab this for $25? Even if for just a shelf ornament?
http://fresno.craigslist.org/atq/2399219869.html
Totally crazy!!! Run....don't walk, those decals look just great. I'd like to get a treadle next, either a Red-eye or Sphinx...not sure the bank account will agree though.

Fingers crossed you get it!
Bronwyn ;-)
Never heard from the seller. Listing has been deleted. :(
Oh no!!!! How rude, I know exactly how you feel because last week I replied to a Freecycle Ad where the man had a 'treadle and another Singer both in good condition' that he wanted to go to a good home and be saved from landfill. I couldn't collect on Sunday as per his request because I was a couple of hours away but promised I would be there on Monday around lunchtime. And just like your lister....no reply!!

I couldn't do that to anyone, being courteous costs absolutely nothing.

Hope there's a better one in your future.

Bronwyn ;-)
It is frustrating when the ad doesn't give a phone number & all you can do is send an e-mail. I think it takes longer to make contact than if we could just pick up the phone & get it over with.

I know how frustrating it is to wait on emails back and forth.
I found my Rocketeer on craigslist. The only picture was one from the backside and I requested a pic from the front to make sure what I thought was correct. The minute I got the email with the pic, I sent one right back telling the lady I wanted it. She just wanted it out of her garage. All this took a week and at one point I thought she had sold it because she was so slow (IMOP) in responding to my emails. Patience is what I learned through this transaction.
I was blessed with this awesome machine and cabinet for $30.00.

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?
Fun and games.....I decided NOT to rob the 2nd Singer 27 of parts, got them elsewhere. Then, inspired by Billy's magnificent work, I tackled the 27 that was in rough shape. Detached all the parts that would detach, cleaned them, removed the finish from the body and sanded gently, taped up the areas not to be painted, and used a three part kit from Krylon called Mystique that includes a black base coat, a silver/green metallic second coat and a clear finish. Let it all dry and put all the parts back on, added a needle and thread, and WOW, it gave me a perfect stitch. (Sometimes I scare myself:>)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-202318.jpe
Views:	223
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	202324  
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Fun and games.....I decided NOT to rob the 2nd Singer 27 of parts, got them elsewhere. Then, inspired by Billy's magnificent work, I tackled the 27 that was in rough shape. Detached all the parts that would detach, cleaned them, removed the finish from the body and sanded gently, taped up the areas not to be painted, and used a three part kit from Krylon called Mystique that includes a black base coat, a silver/green metallic second coat and a clear finish. Let it all dry and put all the parts back on, added a needle and thread, and WOW, it gave me a perfect stitch. (Sometimes I scare myself:>)
WOW...now I am inspired...I have a Pfaff 130 with a flat black crinkle finish that flakes every time I touch it....Deep eggplant, here I come.... :D
Old 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Darcene

WOW...now I am inspired...I have a Pfaff 130 with a flat black crinkle finish that flakes every time I touch it....Deep eggplant, here I come.... :D
Where are the paint kits sold?? I'm game !
Old 05-25-2011, 12:48 PM

It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?
You did a great job. Kathie
Old 05-25-2011, 12:50 PM

That is simply gorgeous (can you tell I love green?). Where do we find these kits and do they offer any other colors?