Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emmah
It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?
Fun and games.....I decided NOT to rob the 2nd Singer 27 of parts, got them elsewhere. Then, inspired by Billy's magnificent work, I tackled the 27 that was in rough shape. Detached all the parts that would detach, cleaned them, removed the finish from the body and sanded gently, taped up the areas not to be painted, and used a three part kit from Krylon called Mystique that includes a black base coat, a silver/green metallic second coat and a clear finish. Let it all dry and put all the parts back on, added a needle and thread, and WOW, it gave me a perfect stitch. (Sometimes I scare myself:>)
You did a really nice job!! :thumbup:

I have some color shift left over from a flame job I did several years back it goes from Silver to Pink. One day I might break it out and try it on a machine.

Billy
Old 05-25-2011, 01:40 PM

I have some color shift left over from a flame job I did several years back it goes from Silver to Pink. One day I might break it out and try it on a machine.

Billy[/quote]

Ohhhh, I want that one too!!!!!! :lol: I love the color shift that I see on cars...it would be amazing on a machine....
Old 05-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene

Billy
Ohhhh, I want that one too!!!!!! :lol: I love the color shift that I see on cars...it would be amazing on a machine....[/quote]

Go to this link and check out all of the colors. This is the paint system that I use all of the time, but if I paint a machine in one of these colors it will break the bank. The color shift is $165 a pint the last time I bought it and that was last year or so ago so there is no telling what it is now.

http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedsha...pes_pearls.jsp

Kameleon Pearls are the color shifts, but click on the other color lines to see more of what they offer. And if you notice alot of the colors are the same ones just shot over a different base.

Billy
Old 05-25-2011, 02:39 PM

milwaukee craigslist > for sale / wanted > antiques--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ser number AK 149649 Mod 66 Feb 8, 1951
What do you think is this a good deal.
Singer Sewing Machine - $50 (New Berlin)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/2401800620.html
Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM

I have to admit I am always a bargain hunter. Believe it or not, the three can kit was from a local $1 store. It is called "Real Deals" and it does have a lot of good stuff. They also have the automotive metallic paints for touching up cars in a lot of colors, for 6for a $1.
I think that Walmart might have Krylon paint kits also.
I am going to stencil the Singer name on the machine. I printed out the word singer in Copperplate gothic and will make a stencil.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Wow, that is really young to loose your husband. Now a days most kids aren't even getting married till they are mid 30's! What a rough way to start your grown up life - I didn't feel grown up until I turned 40 even though I had been married since I was 17!

You are quite amazing. I have never tried to make 'all' my own clothes - I have done most at one time or another - but not bras and swim suits! I am always in awe over people like you as my Mother was like that. She'd make anything that could be made! She was much more talented than I am! I have done 3 complete weddings, but that was following patterns!

Nancy
Thanks but I'm not amazing, I'm a very ordinary person with an inquisitive nature who likes a challenge and gets great satisfaction from making things.

Actually bras are not hard at all, they are really easy, although I will admit fiddly, and what I do to make the process easier is to make anywhere from 3 to 6 at one time as it doesn't take that much longer and at the end you have a good supply.

The best pattern you can get is from your favourite and most comfortable bra and instead of throwing it in the bin when it's worn out, take the time to sit down (preferably in the sun with a nice coffee or glass of something) and unpick all seams on one half. The intact half is your ready reference guide if you need it along the way. Lightly press open any seam allowances and mark grain lines with a marking pen. You can splurge on expensive bridal lace to trim cups because you only need a small amount and the really narrow edge lace can often be found for 20 cents. Hooks/eyes/straps can often be recycled from old bras but are also readily available if you need new ones.

Go wild with colour....it's fun wearing bright coloured underwear because nobody knows, except you!! If I'm making an outfit for a special event I'll make a full set of coordinating lingerie to wear underneath and if I can't get tricot in a matching colour then I'll go for something totally opposite...or get out the dye pot and get to work. It's fun and a quick project in between bigger jobs.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Fun and games.....I decided NOT to rob the 2nd Singer 27 of parts, got them elsewhere. Then, inspired by Billy's magnificent work, I tackled the 27 that was in rough shape. Detached all the parts that would detach, cleaned them, removed the finish from the body and sanded gently, taped up the areas not to be painted, and used a three part kit from Krylon called Mystique that includes a black base coat, a silver/green metallic second coat and a clear finish. Let it all dry and put all the parts back on, added a needle and thread, and WOW, it gave me a perfect stitch. (Sometimes I scare myself:>)

Oh Emmah that looks fantastic....great work!! Makes me want to find a beat up old machine and do the same.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Well, I'm not an expert like some of the other Board members, but looks good to me!!!!

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
milwaukee craigslist > for sale / wanted > antiques--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Well, I'm not an expert like some of the other Board members, but looks good to me!!!!

Originally Posted by QuilterGary

look it over good - make yourself a check list - if anything fails your list offer less - it could be fixed up pretty nice.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM

It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?
emmah, Great job I am :mrgreen: with envy.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: