Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sheet fabric at wally for $5!! >

sheet fabric at wally for $5!!

sheet fabric at wally for $5!!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:48 PM

I thought at one time that you weren't supposed to use sheets for backings. Something about the thread count????
Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM

I do longarm quilting...and I accept sheets for backing...here is what I tell customers:
Don't buy the best/highest thread count, buy the medium range cotton or cotton/poly blends (like you bought). The higher the thread count, the more broken threads you will get. If it's a dark color, they will look lighter than the original color.

Take out all stitching/hems on the sheet & wash it at least twice, prefer three times, no fabric softner. I tell them not to worry about ironing it..fold out of the dryer and send with the quilt (which I do have them press the seems on).

I check the backing for square...I fold the backing into quarters (fold in half, matching corners...making sure the fold is smooth, then fold in half again). The important thing is to make sure the folds are even and smooth. The corners/ends may not match...that's the amount out of square the backing is. I lay the folded sheet/backing onto my cutting table and using a square ruler, I check the folded edges (where there is no cut edge) for square...I then use a yardstick to mark the cut edges to make them square and cut with scissors or rotary cutter.

When I roll a backing onto the takeup bar of the frame, I spritz with plain water and roll, smoothing the fabric as I roll. Yes, I said roll onto the takeup bar first. If the backing is still not perfectly square, I spritz, roll onto the belly bar a little..push on the tight area, spritz and roll back. Once rolled onto the takeup, I roll onto the belly bar, repeating the pushing, spritzing and rolling until it's all onto the belly bar. By then the backing should be even on the frame (no sags)...you will not believe how "ironed" the backing looks!

I don't over tighten the quilt sandwich on the frame and I have not had any problems using sheeting as the back of the quilt.

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I just got a top twin sheet for the back of my quilt from class at walmart for $5! It matches my quilt top and will be plenty of yardage without having to seam it together. I'm so excited! The fabric content is 60% cotton 40% poly so maybe this is why everyone doesnt' do it? Untill I get more $ for fabric though this is what I will be doing :)
Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks Marge, very informative. I am just learning to load backing onto my Grace quilt frame. :-D
Old 05-25-2011, 03:09 PM

A friend of mine works in the laundry room at an area hotel. They only use flat sheets and discard sheets after a short number of uses. They are stainless and very soft. She gets them for me free. If you know someone that works in a hotel free is cheaper than anything. :)
Old 05-25-2011, 03:31 PM

I do the same thing and they work so well.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by wakrueger
A friend of mine works in the laundry room at an area hotel. They only use flat sheets and discard sheets after a short number of uses. They are stainless and very soft. She gets them for me free. If you know someone that works in a hotel free is cheaper than anything. :)
What a great idea, Hospitals and Nursing Homes also.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Wal-Mart in east Green Bay will not carry material, so I won`t be buying sheets either.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM

I use sheets for backing. I wait for Kohls or Macy's to put them on sale.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
I do it all the time....even buy them at Goodwill if I like them and they're close to new. Where else can I get an entire quilt back for under $3???
I have even bought white flannel sheets, and dyed them to match the top. That is what I did on my barter quilt.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM

I use sheets all the time. I buy one every now & then in different colors. They work great.