Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone curse when quilting? >

Does anyone curse when quilting?

Does anyone curse when quilting?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 PM

Does anyone curse while quilting?? Hmmmm...Does a cat have a climbing gear...???? lol

Take a break, slow down and don't be in a hurry....Do you have any friends that quilt, or a local quilt shop, that might could help you out....Sometimes just getting that little extra from someone makes it all better......

Good Luck, hope it works out for you...

Sandi
Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 PM

My dog just sighs and hides his head.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Try a lod cabin a few years back still on the box of UFOs don't think I will ever do that again. more then a few bad words was said.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by apronlady
I admit it...I lost it; I was alone, so no problem. I had such success on my first quilt and now #2 is a log cabin pattern. I HATE IT! Making 56 blocks with 8 different fabrics and most of them were off. It just isn't any fun and to get aggravated; I'm a comedian not a screamer/curser!

Tell me that the log cabin was too advanced or some other comforting words. I sew too fast, and perhaps this is the problem. At this rate, I'm ready to retire the quilting until it's time when I retire, cause it takes so much time and my patience is waning. It's supposed to be fun, right?
Do you see that horrible quilt in my avatar? Oh my, did that have me upset. It was not fun to spend that much time and have something so ugly. I wish I had thrown in the towel much sooner. Quilting should bring joy and happiness :). I really should change that avatar
Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 PM

There have been times you would think I'm a truck driver... I just let'm rip!
Good thing my Mom is many many miles away! She would not claim me if she heard me!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM

The first large quilt I ever made was a king size log cabin. Most of my problems were because my seams were not consistent. I didn't even know about squaring up, or have the rulers, cutting board and rotary cutter. Some of my strips are wider at one end than the other, but I don't care. I was so proud when I finished it. It looks wonderful on my bed.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM

I curse all the time, especially when I break a needle or the bobbin thread gets pissy and clumps up underneath (usually when I get up a good head of steam).

A lot of people foundation piece log cabins. Otherwise, it's not *that* easy, because you have to be really precise with your cutting and your sewing.

put it aside and come back to it later.

Try a rail fence. it uses many of the same techniques but is less aggravating and goes together much faster.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 PM

No cursing...I just blame it on the dog. She has broad shoulders and doesn't seem to mind!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM

I seem to recall getting quite irate with one or two projects over the years.. maybe more.

However, the worst I ever got was while trying to adjust the tension on my only machine that does decorative stitches.

Cursing wasn't enough..
If I hadn't stopped, turned it off, unplugged it, covered it and removed it from my sight, it WAS going to become a flying object aimed at the window.
True story.

I ended up taking it in to the Sewing Machine Hospital for professional diagnosis and treatment.
Yes, it was that bad.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Now that's me. I rarely get upset with a quilt or project that I'm piecing. But before I got my new sewing machine. You'd think I was a sailor on leave after 6 months at sea. I can't stand when the tools are broken. That makes me totally crazy. Finally, DH and I found a great new machine and he had his normal sweet candy talkin wife back. Sailor sailed away with that old machine. Thank goodness. I'm so much nicer to be around since that machine left.