Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB?? >

Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB??

Has anyone from the USA had a surgery performed in Mexico on the QB??

Old 05-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Ditto to the previous comments about concerns re your health, the Mexican conditions ...... and the considerations towards WW and exercise.

The surgery will not give you permanent lasting results, unless you make permanent Lifestyle Changes. So why not make the changes and save the surgery?

Besides with WW, there are no foods you must eat, just as there are no foods you cannot eat!!

As for making two meals for you and the family .... if you're doing the cooking, then make what is right for all .... and if they're not happy, say, sorry, that's what's on the table!!!!!!!!! They'll soon decide they can eat with you. Plus you can still make foods they like ...... and eat it too!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 PM

I have a friend who had the gastic bypass procedure done in Mexico for 1/2 what it was here. She has done extremely well and was extremely pleased with the doctor, nurses, hospital, everything. She said she wouldn't take anything for having it done, and she couldn't afford it here.

She did her follow-up appointments with a physician here.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Charisma, I don't have any opinion on Mexican medical care. maybe it depends on if you are in a big city or a rural area. Anyway, I didn't have a lot to lose but have battled some weight issues my entire life and have found that if I weighed and measured everything, I learned about portion control, and, once I started doing some weight work, the weight really dropped. I look petite, but, it is a constant effort and now a way of life. Just a little splurging can mean pounds and a size, so I eat everything but in moderation. So if you can do some walking or videos, and maybe do the weights in your gym to give you a jump start? Just a suggestion. Everyone has to find what works for them.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM

You can get Zumba on DVD. You can do the fast workout which is 20 minutes, and there's a 40 minute one. That's AWESOME. :) It's whittled down my waist 4 inches since I started it in January.

I've also done WW, and had good success with it.

Who said that eating healthy doesn't taste good? My DH didn't want to eat healthy at first, but when I refused to cook multiple meals during a week day he learned to just eat what I made.

Portion control is a big thing. And so is eating until you're comfortable.

Please - join us in the Weight Loss thread, it's really helpful and supportive. It helps so much just to know that there are other people going through it too.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

I've wondered what would happen if a person just ate what a person that's had the surgery ate?

I have issues with weight - but for me, it has a lot to do with quantity and quality of what I eat.

When I measure and weigh the food before I eat it - and write it down - it does help me.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I've wondered what would happen if a person just ate what a person that's had the surgery ate?

I have issues with weight - but for me, it has a lot to do with quantity and quality of what I eat.

When I measure and weigh the food before I eat it - and write it down - it does help me.
They wouldn't be satisfied and probably wouldn't stick with it. The surgeries provide restriction so that the stomach itself is smaller. Meal size is much smaller, but you feel full. To give you an idea of meal size, I'm 6 months out and eat a total of about 5 oz at a meal. Not many people could eat that little and not feel hungry all the time. The big plus to the gastric sleeve surgery is that it removes about 80% of Grehlin, which is the hunger hormone. That helps alot.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
There is a place here that claims to hypnotise you into thinking you've had a lap band fitted! I also recall finding a blog from a few years ago of someone who decided to eat like a weight loss surgery patient would, though as the last entry is quite old I'm guessing that it didn't work for her.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:02 AM

There is less complications with the lap band, my husband had the gastric bypass, had problems, Dr. had to go back in and fix it, landed him in the hospital for 13 more days, it was a little scary for the family. . Don't mean to scare you but want you to be careful since you are considering out of the country.

Originally Posted by charismah
I am contemplating having a surgery done in Mexico. I researched and got information. I am just curious if any of you have had positive or negative experiences?

I would have it done in America if I could afford it. It is 12000.oo dollars cheaper in Mexico and that included airfare, hotel and the procedure. Pretty Amazing.

I am thinking of a lapband or a gastric sleeve for weight loss. I have called some physicians in my area to ask about fills and their experience with patients that had their surgeries performed in Mexico only one responded back and said they were fine.

What are your experiences?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:39 AM

I don't want to rain on your parade but the procedure before this surgery is intensive-endoscopy-colonoscopy-doctor surpervised diet for 6 months-psychological consult-dietary consult-All of these to make sure you are a good candidate and to advise you on a total life stlye change. I work in a hospital ,in outpatient surgery, I have seen the patients that have had both surgeries.
The gastric bypass is a dangerous surgery for morbidly obese people and requires a very good surgeon with a good followup.Unfortunately I have also watched people go from 350lbs to 160 pounds and within 2 years are back at their old weight. Please do a lot of soul searching and research before you go to Mexico. I too am obese but I will never have that surgery,#1 it scares me #2 I don't think I could make that lifestyle change #3 my cardiologist says no way will he ever recommend the surgery to anyone. most insurances require you to be at least 100 lbs over weight and have other existing problems like diabetes,etc.If you don't fit that weight category Charisma-please please for the sake of your family think long and hard before you do it. This is just my opinion and really I guess you should take it as just one of many. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:15 AM

I have what is considered "good" insurance, but they would not cover lap-band. I had to pay for it myself. It really is strange how insurance works. I live in Illinois and Blue Cross Blue Shield in Illinois does not cover it. But Blue Cross Blue Shield in Iowa does. After the surgery I found out they paid the anesthesiologist (sp?), but they didn't pay the surgeon. Does that make sense?