Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM

DH finally brought the 4 machines in from the van last night, following the Sunday pick-up. The Singer Treadle is a 1908 class 27 Sphinx. Best I can tell, the only thing it will need is a belt and the front slide. The Singer 15 dates to 1934, has a potted motor, is very dirty, has a knee control, and is missing the bobbin carrier. The Modernage Precision appears to be a Japanese clone of the Singer 15, wires have been pinched and need to be replaced, and needs a drive belt. The portable is another Modernage DeLuxe Precision, in sea foam green, and looks pristine. It too appears to be a 15 clone, the wiring is a dead give away that it is fairly new.

The two treadle heads which will be hand delivered, (what a great seller!) look similar to the 27. I've asked him to send numbers, still waiting on that. However, one has the Sphinx, the other has a bird decal. One of them is missing the front slide too, so I'll soon begin the hunt.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 AM

Can anybody give me any info about a Pfaff 332,360, or 362 model sewing machine? I would like to buy a mechanical free-arm and would like some yays or nays from people who know.
Thanks
Bar
Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 AM

emmah---Very nice!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Fun and games.....I decided NOT to rob the 2nd Singer 27 of parts, got them elsewhere. Then, inspired by Billy's magnificent work, I tackled the 27 that was in rough shape. Detached all the parts that would detach, cleaned them, removed the finish from the body and sanded gently, taped up the areas not to be painted, and used a three part kit from Krylon called Mystique that includes a black base coat, a silver/green metallic second coat and a clear finish. Let it all dry and put all the parts back on, added a needle and thread, and WOW, it gave me a perfect stitch. (Sometimes I scare myself:>)
Geeze Louise! WOW! You can paint one of my machines anytime!

Nancy
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 AM

Hey Billy, any storm damage? A tornado went right over my workplace. I was at my daughters ready for the storm cellar. We had storms to the west & east of us. Boy, am I tired of this weather.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Thanks but I'm not amazing, I'm a very ordinary person with an inquisitive nature who likes a challenge and gets great satisfaction from making things.

Actually bras are not hard at all, they are really easy, although I will admit fiddly, and what I do to make the process easier is to make anywhere from 3 to 6 at one time as it doesn't take that much longer and at the end you have a good supply.

The best pattern you can get is from your favourite and most comfortable bra and instead of throwing it in the bin when it's worn out, take the time to sit down (preferably in the sun with a nice coffee or glass of something) and unpick all seams on one half. The intact half is your ready reference guide if you need it along the way. Lightly press open any seam allowances and mark grain lines with a marking pen. You can splurge on expensive bridal lace to trim cups because you only need a small amount and the really narrow edge lace can often be found for 20 cents. Hooks/eyes/straps can often be recycled from old bras but are also readily available if you need new ones.

Go wild with colour....it's fun wearing bright coloured underwear because nobody knows, except you!! If I'm making an outfit for a special event I'll make a full set of coordinating lingerie to wear underneath and if I can't get tricot in a matching colour then I'll go for something totally opposite...or get out the dye pot and get to work. It's fun and a quick project in between bigger jobs.

Bronwyn ;-)
Yes, I believe you are quite amazing! Geeze, there are a lot of talented people on here I know, but I am not sure many are as talented as you are! I just made my first clutch purse yesterday! Maybe, I will tackle a bra next!

Nancy
Old 05-26-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Billy the weather channel says that you have a very good chance of having a tornado touch down where you are. Please let us know if you are okay or not. Kathie
Billy, I also heard about the tornado coming your way? Are you and your family ok? I am still worried about Miz Johnny - I wish someone on here knew how to get a hold of her!

Nancy
Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by ckhbart
Can anybody give me any info about a Pfaff 332,360, or 362 model sewing machine? I would like to buy a mechanical free-arm and would like some yays or nays from people who know.
Thanks
Bar
I have a Pfaff 130, Pfaff 1222e - which makes a free arm, a Pfaff Grand Quilter 1200, and a Pfaff 2170 - computer embroidery machine. I think all the 'old' Pfaff's should be great machines as are all the vintage machines. My Pfaff 1222e is a great machine, and I still use it all the time to do the last step on my binding, which is attaching the back with monofilament! The Pfaff 130 is a work horse and will last forever. I am not familiar with the models you are asking about - how old are they?

Nancy
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Billy the weather channel says that you have a very good chance of having a tornado touch down where you are. Please let us know if you are okay or not. Kathie
Billy, I also heard about the tornado coming your way? Are you and your family ok? I am still worried about Miz Johnny - I wish someone on here knew how to get a hold of her!

Nancy
Just thought you'd like to know that Miz Johnny is OK. She is kinda tied up a the moment but appreciates every-one's concerns. Hopefully once all is settled she'll be posting like crazy and sharing her wealth of knowledge.

I hope that the storms have eluded everyone. It saddens me to see so much devastation and feel so helpless. If anyone knows of someone that could use our support, please send me a PM.

Judy
Old 05-26-2011, 07:19 AM

I just made my first clutch purse yesterday! Nancy[/quote]

How about a picture of your clutch purse. Kathie