Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone here with sleep apnea? >

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Hi: I've been diagnosed with sleep apena for two years. I had a mask that leaked and ended up with a hole in the cornea of my eye. I apparently turned over onto my stomach during my sleep. It was about two weeks before we got that healed up, and I now use the pillows. I was never introduced to the pillows before this happened. Just to let everyone know what can happen.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Hi: I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea for two years. I had a mask that leaked and ended up with a hole in the cornea of my eye. I apparently turned over onto my stomach during my sleep. It was about two weeks before we got that healed up, and I now use the pillows. I was never introduced to the pillows before this happened. Just to let everyone know what can happen. As an RN, if you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, it can prevent a stroke, so is a necessity.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Grinster
What kind of C-PAP do you have. My husband's is noisy and keeps me awake. I am a former Recovery Room Nurse and couldn't sleep for counting his apnea episodes and waiting to start CPR. Now the machine noise keeps me awake. Good to have an extra bedroom.
I have a ResMed Escape II unit with attached humidifier and use a Swift mask with nasal pillows. There probably is a newer version as I've had this unit for almost two years. The entire machine, electrical cord, hose and mask fit neatly in a nylon bag the size of briefcase. If you are flying I would recommend you check on line on how your carry-on will be examined by TSA. That knowledge should take away your anxiety about the unknown.

The technician at the medical supply company we use suggested that no question is stupid or silly. In fact, he said that when there are no questions/ concerns --- he figures the machine is not being used. Give positive/negative feedback to your technician so he/she will be better prepared to help others.

There are a variety of machines and masks on the market.
Good luck and "good nights" :)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Banned

Have had it for years; hated the machine; never used it.

I read somewhere that one should turn off the computer and not use a cell phone for 3-4 hours before retiring.
It works, who knows why. I sleep 5 straight hours most night.
Doubt it does anything to help with apnea, but it does make me less tired during the day.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 AM

I have the machine and I hate it but I do use it. I do sleep so much better and most of the time at least 5 hours straight. When I go out of town I do not use it or when my husband is not home. I cannot hear anything outside or in the house when I use the machine. I live out in the country and want to hear, LOL. It took some doing but I still hate it but use it.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 AM

I have a REMstar auto/aflex A series machine, and the mask that leaked and caused a hole in the cornea of my eye was a FlexiFit 407 nasal mask. I now use the pillows, and have not had anymore problems. Although, There is scar tissue over the cornea of my eye, and bothers when I rub it. I have not had any more problems since using the pillows, and would recommend them to prevent any eye injury.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM

I have one and love it - it is not the most comfortable thing in the world, but I do sleep all night with it. Mine has a humidifier and I like the pillows (nose piece). I hadn't slept all night for years, until I got this.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
Originally Posted by Grinster
What kind of C-PAP do you have. My husband's is noisy and keeps me awake. I am a former Recovery Room Nurse and couldn't sleep for counting his apnea episodes and waiting to start CPR. Now the machine noise keeps me awake. Good to have an extra bedroom.
I have a ResMed Escape II unit with attached humidifier and use a Swift mask with nasal pillows. There probably is a newer version as I've had this unit for almost two years. The entire machine, electrical cord, hose and mask fit neatly in a nylon bag the size of briefcase. If you are flying I would recommend you check on line on how your carry-on will be examined by TSA. That knowledge should take away your anxiety about the unknown.

The technician at the medical supply company we use suggested that no question is stupid or silly. In fact, he said that when there are no questions/ concerns --- he figures the machine is not being used. Give positive/negative feedback to your technician so he/she will be better prepared to help others.

There are a variety of machines and masks on the market.
Good luck and "good nights" :)
I also have a ResMed machine and use the ResMed Mirage Swift II mask with nasal pillows. I've been using a CPAP for so many years I can't even remember, but it made an immense difference to my life and DH's.

I was falling asleep at red lights and didn't know why I was so tired all the time until DH casually mentioned that (as well as snoring) I stopped breathing during the nights. This had been going on for he thought six months before he got around to telling me. After my sleep study, I learned that I'd been getting only 11 minutes of REM sleep per night.

I noticed an immediate improvement with the machine, even though it took a while to find the right mask. The first one, triangular in shape, just didn't fit my face right; I always had air leaking out around the sides. I never thought the nasal pillows would be tolerable, but it's amazing how you can jam these things up your nostrils and then just not notice them after a minute or so.

For those of you who have machines and don't use them, a word of caution. I truly believe that I lost my Dear Mom because of undiagnosed sleep apnea. She passed before I even knew about the condition, but I remember her falling asleep watching tv and then "snorting" herself awake, and she eventually suffered from congestive heart failure, which is a condition that sleep apnea can lead to. She had to have a heart valve replaced when she was about 72, and she did not recover well from the operation. (She also had diabetes.) She spent months in a nursing home, and even after returning home needed lots of care. (Fortunately my oldest sister pitched in; I live out of state.) She finally was able to visit us in our new house nearly two years after the operation, and I was trying to convince her to move up here with us (from So. Cal. to Wash state). Sadly, she caught a systemic infection later the same month after she'd returned home (probably because of a certain drug the doctors prescribed that was known to have that side effect), and even though she went to the doctors feeling lousy, they sent her back home (love Medicare!). That night she called 911, they broke down her door to get her to the hospital, and they revived her once there just briefly before she was gone.

I think if she'd been treated for the sleep apnea, she might not have had the congestive heart failure to begin with. So, if you've been diagnosed and have a machine, for your own and your loved ones' sakes, try, try, try to find a way to use it! I really miss my Mom!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 AM

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea over ten years ago. It does not bother me at all. I agree that it is not the sexiest thing I know of, but it lets me sleep, and that is what is important. Untreated sleep apnea is a contributing factor in heart disease.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM

If you still have strap marks on your face in the mornings, this will help. Make fleece sleeves for your straps, it helped me. Cut a 4" x 5" piece of fleece, I use black but you could get creative. Double fleece in half so you have two thicknesses on each side. Check how wide to make sleeve for the strap and sew together. I foundsmall pieces fleece in the remnant section at JoAnn's.
Cindy, I feel so much more rested when I use my machine. I hope you can get to where you can use yours successfully.

It's become a source of entertainment with my close friends. My quilting buddy threatened to"kink my tubing" so she could have my stash when we went to the Houston show one year!

Originally Posted by cindyjean
I have mild sleep apnea, but have had some major life issues from it... First machine I got, I used it for 5 days and sent it back. refused to use it. Then about a year later I was having more problems. I was so tired all the time, I had trouble functioning. Went to a different medical company. He gave me a newer model machine that was very quiet and he adjusted it so it would not be full force until 45 min. after I started using it. Which meant I could fall asleep before the full pressure.. I also used the nasal pillows. I seemed more apt to keep it on.. But as the months went by I was still extremely tired. The tiredness began affecting my job.. I was getting very fuzzy brained.. couldn't remember many things.. Made lots of mistakes.. My work was very patient and worked w/me.. I kept going back to the sleep Dr. and was told my sleep apnea was not bad enough to affect me like this.. I was at my wits end! I kept having blood work to see if there was something else wrong.. Finally I decided to change my mask. What a difference.. At first it was leaving big red dry marks on my face from the new mask. but i was determined to keep trying it.. I needed my mind back and I needed to not want to fall asleep while driving.. So I forced myself.. After a couple of weeks. I really noticed a difference. I got my memory back and my energy.. I have been trying to lose weight for 2 yrs and was not able to.. Now I am losing weight! But now I am having another issue.. Some nights I am having a terrible time sleeping. This is new to me since I first started the machine I could sleep, just wasn't the good sleep.. I tried taking sleeping pills, but made me so groggy all day, it affected my work.. Even tried a 1/2 sleeping pill. I don't dare go to the sleep Dr. and ask for help.. She doesn't help me at all. I think she is a terrible Dr. Since she could not suggest I try to change the mask and allow me to go through months of torment w/ the tiredness and memory loss.. There are no other sleep Dr's in my area. she came from 2 hrs away.. And suggestions would be welcome... : )