Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how is this posted on google when I posted here >

how is this posted on google when I posted here

how is this posted on google when I posted here

Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I just read something in today's paper that says the only way to remove something that would show up in google is to request it from the person who runs the website - not google. This doesn't always happen. The article said if you can't get it removed then create other things that would come up first thus burying the one you don't want lower on the list. They mentioned LinkedIn and Facebook and some other business networking sites and even suggested buying a domain name of "yourname.com" which would presumably turn up first. I not an expert but just read this article.
Keep in mind that even if the board owner deletes an image or text, there may still be "cached" versions of the page that remain visible indefinitely

Also, if you try to go the route of setting up things to bump this board down the Google list, keep in mind you'll have to find or create a site more popular than this one. You see the QB come up a lot in searches because it's very large and active. Smaller sites or those with a lot less traffic appear lower on the list.

The world lives online now. Just keep personal information (or surprises for other people) out of the mix and you'll be okay.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 AM

It's a public board. Actually, if found the board in the first place by Googling the name of a particular block. Someone's post and picture came up and I went from there. These days, it's safe to assume that anything you write on line is not private.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 AM

I just googled my name "Marysewfun" and was astounded at what came up - comments that I have made - even when asked to be removed from something - it appeared all in caps like I was mad! - have never done that, just used the "unsubcribed" button on anything.

The FUNNY one though is the listing/reference indicating "Quilt addicts" - says I joined 1-28-11, and the last visit there was 12-31-69!! - Hello - - - - --

That is something to keep in the back of your mind though.

Marysewfun
Old 05-26-2011, 07:19 AM

One other thing - I went back and googled my name - and it brought up several references and people, all having websites or musicians, or writers - far more talented than me!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

I too find it very handy that Google sends me to lots of sites, incl. QB, when I'm searching for info.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 AM

I am not surprised. That is why I am concerned about sites like facebook and myspace. Our children and grandchildren put their whole life out there including compromising pictures etc. We now live in the era of "big brother" if we like it or not. My husband loves doing his banking etc. on the internet. It scares me that our personal infomation is out there for someone a whole lot smarter about computers than us to find and possibly use.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM

No, it is not private! That is how I found the quilting board when I was doing a google search to see if I could use serger thread for FMQ.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Thats how I found this board , I was searching one day for something ... and just stumbled in.
Thats how I found it too. I dont put a picture on my avatar and for confidential info like my email and paypal account info I use pms only. I guess I dont mind if my Post to sell fabric etc shows up when googled-someone other than board members may be interested lol
Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 AM
RDM

www is that-an unsecured world wide web where anyone can search and bring up the topics/photos, other than PM. I found site through google when searching for answers to a problem.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 AM

I know exactly how you feel.I was very surprised to find my tutorial on Japanese Folded Patchwork on google not so long ago.I have to change the picture(my Christmas table topper)incase someone make one and sell it or something.Like you I thought it was just within the board and I was happy to share it with everyone, but I wouldn't like to be sued for producing that pattern if it has copy right.Very frightening .