Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do people >

Why do people

Why do people

Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 AM

An old uk saying ( some folks wont ought for nowt,) meaning anything for nothing. Maddening is`nt it ?.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 AM

My daughter asked me to please make a tee-shirt memory quilt for her friend's six year old son as they wer moving from TX to CO and he was having difficulty with it. She said her friend would be glad to pay. I accepted and asked that when she received the quilt that she send me a check (whatever she thought it was worth or could afford) made payable to Shriner's Hospital and I would send it in as a donation. I sent the quilt to her - with a note reminding her about the charity donation with a stamped envelope. My daughter tells me how happy she and her son are with the quilt. . . . it's been six weeks - no check ! Last time I do that and the money wasn't even for me! I figured I took my time that I allocate for making charity quilts and put it into that - Some people !
Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM

My DH"s Aunt thinks I should post pics of my quilts on EB orCL for sell -she see's so many on-line for X amt but she wanted me to make a king that would go to the floor [for her daughter]--once she seen how much fabric was she said forget it she could only afford the fab or my time but not both But now she understands why the prices are ""so high""
Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 AM

It has happen to me too. I guess they want to see what you are going to charge so they can charge the same or more.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 AM
RDM

Sorry such rudeness is rampant. We live in a society where everything is on sale, no one appreciates quality, workmanship, and we want it for nothing. I value quilters who know what it takes to make a quilt, quilt it, and recognize what will become a valued heirloom. Don't give up, some will get it and value your time and talent.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Don't be discouraged. When you name your price, people have the choice of walking away. I agree that it would be polite of them to tell you that they would not be making a contract at that time.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 AM

I have sold just a few quilts that I have made. These were ordered and paid for up front.

I ran into this same problem and am still going through it. It took me 3 weeks to get the completed estimate together to show her current cost of fabric, especially the novelty fabric she wanted. I was apologizing for taking 3 weeks to get back to her but every time I had something ready she wanted to adjust it. She thought it was "fast" to get an estimate together! I sent it to her and nothing...no nothing.

I had to draw out the pattern, get it color coded, and provide her with the sample fabrics she could approve. I have already put 12 hours into the project with no nothing, not even a 'hey I got it, but I have to think about it'. She didn't respond at all.

Her loss. I can work on the projects I wanted to be working on!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by harvsstuff
inquire if you will make them something that you have showed in the picture section, I give them a price and then they disappear off the radar. At least have the decency to get back to me (or you) and say why they have changed their mine. The price I gave was extremely reasonable and included shipping. I honestly believe some people thing what they want to buy should be cheap but if they were selling it, it should cost a lot more.
Pople really don't know how much time it takes to make and complete a nice quilt,some times I think they are really embarrassed to say they cannot afford that price.In this day in time money is really tight ,but they should atleast let you know either way is my way at looking at it.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 AM

when people ask me if i make quilts to sell i say NO - only as gifts. for me to sell something would take all the fun out of it and i'm not near good enough to sell.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 AM

I HAVE A EMBROIDERY SHOP AND PEOPLE DO ME THE SAME WAY. BUT THINGS COST AND KEEP GOING UP.IT USE TO BOTHER ME BUT NOT I TELL THEM THE PRICE AND IF THEY SAY ANYTHING I TELL THEM MAYBE THEY CAN FIND IT CHEAPER SOME OTHER PLACE AND THANK THEM.