Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by olebat
...I'm not one for pain meds, even with this knee replacement, so I kept a clear head and had fun while I could, I had good staff and therapists. Laughter is the best medicine. Finding all those machines (7) didn't hurt either. It's my piggy bank which will need the pain meds.
Glad you are feeling better. Did you mean that you don't take any pain meds... after knee replacement?

I just had hip replacement in March. I don't like pain meds either but I have learned to take them for as short a time as possible. I had both knees replaced followed by a hip replacement. This last one makes me complete.... ha-ha! Totally worth it to go through, although for many years I said 'no way anyone is cutting my bones'.

:-D
You two are pretty amazing for going through such big surgeries and therapy without pain medications. All I can say that both of you must have a great sense of humor and a high tolerance to pain! Keep up the positive outlook and rehab so that you can enjoy the summer.

Judy
No, no, no... I must have not stated it the right way. For me, there is no way I could go without pain meds right after joint replacement. They are cutting bone. That tickles a little bit! :lol: :lol:

I don't like the meds but most definitely use them. I just try to wean myself asap.

My DH and Doc have to encourage me to not be in such a rush. Rehap for knees was quite painful but very much worth it.

Rehap for hips, for me, was simply walking. I walked with a walker for over a month because that allowed me to walk with greater strides and faster than without a walker or with a cane... which in the long run, helped me to recover more quickly. :-D
Old 05-26-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
...I'm not one for pain meds, even with this knee replacement, so I kept a clear head and had fun while I could, I had good staff and therapists. Laughter is the best medicine. Finding all those machines (7) didn't hurt either. It's my piggy bank which will need the pain meds.
Glad you are feeling better. Did you mean that you don't take any pain meds... after knee replacement?

I just had hip replacement in March. I don't like pain meds either but I have learned to take them for as short a time as possible. I had both knees replaced followed by a hip replacement. This last one makes me complete.... ha-ha! Totally worth it to go through, although for many years I said 'no way anyone is cutting my bones'.

:-D
Yep, zip, zilch, zero, none, no pain medicine stronger than a couple of Tylenol. I had all the pain Before the surgery. Just learned to grin and bare it. Life goes on. I hope I can put the other knee off for a few years. I have too many machines to restore and move to alternate locations to play this "lady of leisure" game. I'll keep you in mind as the bionic hero anytime my ortho guy mentions replacement.
LOL... And WOW! Sorry, I might be bionic in replacements but no way could I do it without those meds!

I, too, hope you are able to wait a long time to get the other knee done. In 2008 I had knee replacement, six months followed by kr; six months followed by hip replacement. I can't leap over tall buildings but I sure don't deal with the pain I used to. And for that, I praise God!!!! :-D
Old 05-26-2011, 06:06 PM

I haven't taken a picture of the purse yet, but here is a picture of a Monthy Mini I just did - also, this is the little Kenmore I got last Saturday for $5, machine, case, and the little plastic package is the foot pedal and cords.[/quote]

Oh I love that little Kenmore, I am fond of small machines, I guess. Love the embossed case. Only certain models had that type of case and it's really neat!
Jane
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I don't need yet another machine, and I have a FW getting a tune up right now, but...
I saw this on CL and I thought the base and machine looked interesting. It's listed for $200. I have no idea what things like this are worth.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2340837314.html
Wow, that cabinet is beautiful! It has one of the earliest Model 15's with the Tiffany decals too! That whole package is worth $200!

Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, that is a cute machine! I also like your Monthly Mini and the holder that it is on. Where did you get that holder? And the black dots for water, what is that material or medium that you used?
The Monthly Mini is not available in stores or on line right now - at least not the ones I am doing - there are some from last year I think that are now available. You have to enroll in a quilt store Monthly Mini class in order to get those patterns -- lots of fun -- and instant gratification, not like doing a king size quilt! The water dots are crystals I put on with a bejeweler type of tool. The holders are available - I think if you go to Patchabilities. The fabrics are just from fat quarters and fused down with Steam a Seam or I use Shades Softfuse, then appliqued using my Rocketeer and the #8 cam - a blanket type stitch. The little wall hanging is sandwhiched like any quilt and quilted when I do the machine applique' part. We will be doing a new one each month!

Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
here is a picture of a Monthy Mini I just did

That flower pot is adorable Nancy. Kathie
Thank you Kathie, but to quote my 2 1/2 year old grandson -- Grammama that is a perrrrtee flower with bugs and a 'water can.'

Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
emmah---Very nice!
Thanks to all that liked my efforts.
I am laying low tonight in the Fingerlakes, NY state, we just got tornado warnings. Luckily our old farmhouse is timberframed and has a good basement. Guess I will spend a little time down there. I can hear the thunder rumbling right now.
Geeze, I hope all is well this morning and those horrible storms stop!

Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Judy you are to funny. :-D The clutch purses is also Nancy's. These responses are hard to tell who said what. Have a wonderful evening. Kathie
Kathie did a clutch purse at Girls Night Out along with most of the people there! I was too busy trying to fix a FW so I didn't get to sew, but that was a good thing! Anyway, I now have my clutch purse, which I made using only my Model 127 Sphinx treadle! That was interesting, as the little purse had to have several seams 'locked' as this was not just piecing like a quilt! I learned to screw that stitch regulator all the way out to sew in place - I can't do it fast like when you are nearing the end of the seam -- so I got a few places with thread balls -- but the seams are locked and the purse should hold up! I am pretty proud of the fact that the purse is made exclusively using a treadle! It would have been much easier to make something like the purse by sneaking in and using one of my electric machines with reverse!

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-202939.jpe
Views:	260
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	202945  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 AM

I was just watching Fox News and they were showing the damage in Joplin Mo. and the home of an 89 year old women. There was not a wall left in the entire house but then they showed an old Singer treadle standing right where it had always been. Even the worst storm in decades couldn't take out the old girl. I bet you could probably just sit down and sew w/out it missing a beet.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 AM

Nancy I like your snap purse better than mine. Want to trade. :lol: Have a nice day everyone. Cat