Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone here with sleep apnea? >

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Anyone here with sleep apnea?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 PM

I have sleep apnea and have a machine, but I have such a hard time using it. I have clostophopia and get all panicky when I put it on. I have to use sleeping pills to get to sleep with it on and I hate the way the pills make me feel. I did switch to the nose pillows and they weren't so bad, but my CPAP guy said my nose is too small to use the one I like, but the one he set me up with makes my nose so sore. I am going to INSIST that he gives me the 1st ones that I liked so well.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by CRicart
Sadiemae, they have a chin strap to help keep your mouth shut. Actually, once you are responding to the C-PAP, you won't need to open your mouth. That's what happened with my husband. Naps with mouth open, snoring, sleeps with machine and mouth shut
I used the additional chin strap less than one week. I sleep with my mouth closed when using the machine. There doesn't seem to be any discomfort or improper use of the mask with the nasal pillows.

If I fall asleep in the recliner - uhm.... my mouth would be open and the rafters would be shaking!!

Did I fail to mention earlier that my DH sleeps better and longer now that I have the machine?

I've had asthma and allergies for um-teen years. The doctor (woman - yeah!) changed my meds yesterday and is a good teacher. I take active responsibility for my health and treatment. We now suspect that I possibly have
COPD. One day at a time and thank goodness for my CPAP!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 PM

i've been using a cpap machine for 6 years now. at first it was hard but once i found the right mask things got easier. even 4 hours of sleep with the cpap makes a huge difference in rest for your body. i use the nasal pillows and had some trouble with air blowing out my tear ducts. this was easily solved with the addition of a sleep eye mask (the kind you see in movies) i sleep very soundly and my dreams are only vivid if i have a cold. keep working at it & you'll find the right mask for you.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM

I did the sleep study thing & was told I needed one but I guess I was borderline cause insurance said that it wasn't bad enough for insurance to cover the cost. I hated it. & didn't want to spring for the entire cost myself. I called it the sleep crap machine cause it turned what little bit of sleep I was getting into crap! I need to try again but just hate the whole idea. :(
Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Hubby has had his for several years and it made a huge difference for him and me. He snored very loud and then would stop breathing for a bit. It was not good. After he was fixed up, he got on my case big time. I could not stay in bed all night. I'd wake up after a couple or three hours and have to spend the rest of the night in my recliner. Last summer I finally saw a doctor, had the sleep study and ended up with a CPAP AND supplemental oxygen at night. I hate to have to admit it but I love what I call my elephant nose. (the set up is not very sexy) I am getting some quality sleep now. Next...I need to lose weight. And that is totally up to me, no machine will magically melt the blubber.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:41 PM

have had a cpap machine over 15 years, have had several replacements even. first I was to young for medicare to comver so we paid for it ourselves,,,, every single penny has been worth it. I NEVER sleep without it, in fact, if I am going to take a nap, and know I am really tired,,,,,,I use it even for a 15 minute nap. For anyone who has a cpap machine and does not use it......... mind over matter,,,,,, it will help you so much. stop making excuses, it means your health is in jeopardy......(and maybe your marriage if you snore like I did)....... my new machine is totally quiet, has a heated water system for hydration, and I sleep wnderfully well, and rested. Dr. said my heart took a real beating for many years, plus so did hubby, ... hahahah.

haul yours out today,,,,,,,,,,,,and make a vow to use it.

jacie I wear athe full face mask,and yes, have marks on my cheeks, guess I'll try the fleece idea.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:56 PM

I have the same unit and the same mask with pillows. I had problems at first with the pillows as I have a small nose so now I cut a bit off the top of the nasal opening. I had always slept on my stomach so found I kept losing the mask at night so started sleeping in a lazy boy chair that goes almost flat but with feet raised and I now have the best sleep ever. I also have congestive heart failure and get short of breath. I find that if I use the mask it makes all the difference. I love my machine!!

Originally Posted by kay carlson
Originally Posted by Grinster
What kind of C-PAP do you have. My husband's is noisy and keeps me awake. I am a former Recovery Room Nurse and couldn't sleep for counting his apnea episodes and waiting to start CPR. Now the machine noise keeps me awake. Good to have an extra bedroom.
I have a ResMed Escape II unit with attached humidifier and use a Swift mask with nasal pillows. There probably is a newer version as I've had this unit for almost two years. The entire machine, electrical cord, hose and mask fit neatly in a nylon bag the size of briefcase. If you are flying I would recommend you check on line on how your carry-on will be examined by TSA. That knowledge should take away your anxiety about the unknown.

The technician at the medical supply company we use suggested that no question is stupid or silly. In fact, he said that when there are no questions/ concerns --- he figures the machine is not being used. Give positive/negative feedback to your technician so he/she will be better prepared to help others.

There are a variety of machines and masks on the market.
Good luck and "good nights" :)
Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 AM

Thank you for starting this thread and thanks to all who have responded.
I am due for a new mask and haven't been for an appt. forever. I do use my machine religiously but really haven't seen that much of a difference. I am making an appt. today and will look into the nasal pillows - hate the mask I'm using.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:25 AM

I just returned from my sleep study! It was not as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks to those who responded to me and said they were praying for me! Turns out the nurse that did the study was a former kid from the youth group my husband and I worked with as youth leaders!!!!!!!!!!! We had a great visit and even though she couldn't give me any details, she did let me know that I do have sleep apnea. I go next week to the dr. to see what she wants me to do. Thanks for this thread - I've gained encouragement and lots of knowledge also. Hope the people on this thread, and especially the one who started it, have an easy time treating their SA! My prayers are with you all.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:35 AM

I have been on a machine for about 10 years. My DH said I would stop breathing several times and he couldn't sleep for worrying about me. I had no trouble sleeping. LOL So I was tested and have been on a CPap ever since. Just recently I had to go from one on the nose to what they call a full face one. Don't like it but I also don't like the alternative, so I use it every night all night. The full face is not all that comfortable and sometime it lets air escape and that wakes me up. Am talking with my distributor to see if something can be done about that.