Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can i bring on a plane...quilting wise? >

What can i bring on a plane...quilting wise?

What can i bring on a plane...quilting wise?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:58 AM

Take a dental floss container with you, you can cut your threads with that.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
blades under 4 inches and needles and pins can go onto the plane. all other has to be checked. yes go to the TSA website. it will tell you all of the rules. no rotary blades on the plane. they must be in your bag.
This is correct! I flew recently and checked with TSA prior to departure. I was able to board with small scissors under 4 inches and pins and needles and ended up hand sewing bindings on quite a few projects during my very long flights. Rotary cutter probably needs to go in checked bag but check with airline or TSA on that.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:06 AM

Check with your AIRPORT besides your airlines. Sometimes the airline personnel will tell you things are ok only to have the airport security confiscate it. They are two separate entities. You can check your cutter and scissors into your checked baggage but cannot carry them onto the plane. I have brought hand embroidery onto the plane before without problems however I did find a thread cutter that wasn't scissors. A friend of mine said that at an airport the security confiscated her embroidery hoop!! ....go figure. Not sure what kind of security threat an embroidery hoop would make. LOL
Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 AM

take what ever you want just 1 bag check it in.Saving money.pins scissor needles .
Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 AM

You can cut thread with dental floss. Just put a package in your purse with a cheap toothbrush and a small tube of toothpaste. Also you can buy a thread cutter that looks like a necklace medallion. Put in on a chain and wear it around your neck. Nobody will know unless the person checking you is a quilter.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
You can cut thread with dental floss. Just put a package in your purse with a cheap toothbrush and a small tube of toothpaste. Also you can buy a thread cutter that looks like a necklace medallion. Put in on a chain and wear it around your neck. Nobody will know unless the person checking you is a quilter.
OMG i can't believe i didn't think of that!..now all i have to do is get to joanns before i leave =)
Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM

It's a total crap-shoot. I brought a box cutter in my purse, from Bali all the way to South Dakota and nobody at any security checkpoint noticed or took it. But my carry-on bag got ransacked because I had 4 ceramic tiles inside wrapped in plastic! My advice is to put anything sharp into your checked bag, though. Be sure to use a TSA approved lock on your checked bags. Happy Travels!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 AM

When we fly to the Bahamas (International) I take a whole clothe pillow panel, my needles and thread and a leather thimble. I also take folding scissor and a hoop. I put everything in a clear plastic bag and zip it up. I put the plastic bag in my luggage right on top. I have never been questioned or had anything removed.

Hope this helps
Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 AM

check the Transportation Safety Association or Board (TSA or TSB) web site.
I took my small scissors on my last two flights.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 AM

(at lunch, no time to read all 5 pages)

There is a thread cutter that has no sharp edges. It is shaped like a disk, about the size of an old dollar coin. It has slots to slip the thread into, there are tiny recessed blades.

http://www.scrapbookingalley.com/pro...e=BingShopping