Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift? >

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Old 05-27-2011, 03:24 PM

I try not to be offended. Once I give it to them, it's up to them what they do with it. However, they might not receive another gift! :)
Old 05-27-2011, 03:51 PM

I only feel offended if they don't even respond at all. I don't expect lavish praise (although that is nice of course) but I do expect the common courtesy of at least saying thank you for a gift...mind you I said I expect it--not that I always get it.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:09 PM

I ONLY give a quilt for a gift if I know for certain that they will appreciate it. I will try to stay with the colors they like as well.
I did give a full size quilt to my mother because she acted like she absolutely loved it...it looks so lovely on the top shelf in her closet!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Once I give it, it is theirs. They can use it, display it, store it, let the cat sleep on it, give it away as a gift or sell it! That's why I don't personalize anything with names/initials. Life is too short for me to worry about it. I had so much fun making it, if someone else likes it too, that's just gravy.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM

I have to admit it hurts my feelings if it's not displayed! It may not be right, but I do!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:45 PM

I'm going to give the same response as in another topic, in case my answer sounds familiar. When my grandson was born, I made him a quilt. When we went to my son's home, I didn't see the quilt anywhere. In the crib was a store bought quilt. After several visits to his home and never seeing the quilt used, I assumed the parents didn't like or appreciate the quilt. Was I offended? No, just a little hurt. I thought at least they would bring the quilt out when we came to visit.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:10 PM

I had the experience of doing a quilt that I was going to give to friends as a house warming gift when they moved into their new home. I always take my quilts to the local coffee shop and she was in the group to look at it. Her comment was that she could never use it, because it was too short for her. The quilt was 72 inches long, and she is about 5 ft 3. And I even went so far as to say, that she could get used to the size, but she just said again, it was too short. I had planned on giving it to her that morning, and needless to say, I brought it home. It laid around here for a month or so, and then I thought of an elderly friend, who is in assisted living, so I gave it to her. And now that was one very happy lady, and I was too, because I know that she really appreciated it. Her bed was getting changed the next day, and she was having it put on her bad as the top cover. It went to a good home. So I understand about wanting to know that your quilts are going to a good home. It is like a child, because you have put so much love into it.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 PM

When I make a quilt for someone I don't want it "displayed", I want it to be used. I'd rather it be in a bunch on the couch showing it is used than folded neatly over a chair.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Once I give it, it is theirs. They can use it, display it, store it, let the cat sleep on it, give it away as a gift or sell it! That's why I don't personalize anything with names/initials. Life is too short for me to worry about it. I had so much fun making it, if someone else likes it too, that's just gravy.
My sentiments exactly! It IS fun to make them and I do the best I possibly can but by the time I've had the fun of finding the perfect pattern, shopping for the fabric, cutting it out, piecing it, hand quilting it and binding it I'm usually over it anyway.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Back in my jewerly beading days, I gave my sis a sweater that I had added a beaded trim. She called me a when she got it and said it was too big. No way I could take it in to make it smaller. Then she said she took it into the office to show everyone how beautiful (pat on the back here) it was. A lady who is ...bigger... than my sis offered to buy it and she wanted to know if it would be alright to let it go. I just started laughing and told her of course she could sell it. Once a gift is given, it's given. To love or hate or even...sell! Oh, yeah. I made her promise to tell me what she did with the money!!!