Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 PM

Mrs. Boats ~ What nice looking SM's. I especially like the Riccar and the Willard. It's hard to not appreciate the amount of work went into building that beautiful parlor cabinet. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Chris ~ I wish I could help you out with more info on your Singer 362. It looks like a great SM for your DD, especially if she is going to do her own mending!!

Judy
Old 05-27-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
then I got this at the estate sale... didn't have a price, and this was a huge-mondo-bodacious-hoarder sale... just 1/4 mile away, so we all walked up... OMG I found this outside in the tent, and asked price (was unlabelled) ~ made sure i opened it so the lady that worked there could smell the musty smell :thumbup: :shock: worked in my favor, she said $24 ... I acted disinterested for a few minutes. Then when she wasn't looking, snagged it LOL

Billy, Nancy, anyone know anything more about this? My first question is, HOW do you get rid of the musty smell from the case? OMG its strong, but don't see mildew growing. HELP! I gotta save her!

The attachments box ~ I just had to have that... there was a shuttle and 5 bobbin spools in there for my treadle!!! yay!
Now let me get this straight - you got that 15 clone and that attachment box, which is not for the 15 clone, for $24? Am I reading this right? That 15 clone is a very nice machine, but you probably will never get its exact date. Those attachments look just like the ones that came with my Free #5 treadle.

Great find! Oh and I love the Kenmore 117, especially the color!
Nancy
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Trish and Nancy - You've motivated me! Got the fabric out to make the purse and wondered ~ Do you draw grid lines for quilting or do you use the Quilting Guide attachment only?

Trish your purses are so adorable - I specially like the pink plaid one. Thanks for posting your photos, it really was the boost I needed to get busy.

Judy
Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Billy, you sure have been hit hard this Spring! Will this nasty weather ever quit? I, for one, am ready for calm weather.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Sorry for the double post!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Now I'm thinking I should have bought it so I could say I own the ugliest sewing machine ever built. It's one of these, but in much worse shape: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1948-Ken...item43a732933e
Geeze Louise! That machine looks like a tank!

Nancy
I have to say that those Kenmores are the ugliest machines I have ever seen. I see them ever so often on CLs, and I just chuckle at the prices that some want for them. But if the machine works and produces a pretty stitch then that is all that matters.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM

I'm enjoying the posts with projects from the vintage machines. Thanks for sharing to all that have posted.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
then I got this at the estate sale... didn't have a price, and this was a huge-mondo-bodacious-hoarder sale... just 1/4 mile away, so we all walked up... OMG I found this outside in the tent, and asked price (was unlabelled) ~ made sure i opened it so the lady that worked there could smell the musty smell :thumbup: :shock: worked in my favor, she said $24 ... I acted disinterested for a few minutes. Then when she wasn't looking, snagged it LOL

Billy, Nancy, anyone know anything more about this? My first question is, HOW do you get rid of the musty smell from the case? OMG its strong, but don't see mildew growing. HELP! I gotta save her!

The attachments box ~ I just had to have that... there was a shuttle and 5 bobbin spools in there for my treadle!!! yay!
Now let me get this straight - you got that 15 clone and that attachment box, which is not for the 15 clone, for $24? Am I reading this right? That 15 clone is a very nice machine, but you probably will never get its exact date. Those attachments look just like the ones that came with my Free #5 treadle.

Great find! Oh and I love the Kenmore 117, especially the color!
Nancy
this is a 15 clone? ??? really? I had no idea what it was, but never would have suspected that! the only gold that is messed up is the name on the front ~ looks like someone had a label on there, like an address label, and then removed it. its a perfect rectangle "removed" from the decal. and some normal rubbing on the top name gold.

Looked at my receipt ~ she charged me $24 for the machine. And the one lady must have overheard me talking to my husband, because they added $10 to the bill for the attachments box. So $34 for both. The feet in the black box are not for the Martin.

Now to figure out how in the world to get the musty smell out of the case... yes, we have the full case top & bottom for the Martin machine. we unscrewed the sewing head from the box base, it is a strong smell... the box lives on the porch until further notice!!! already cleaned up the machine a little... wow, sews SMOOTH!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Nancy and QuiltnCowgirl: Thought you might like to see this video. My father sent it to me and I wanted to share.

According to the info in my email ~ The young lady riding the horse is in her 20's - her father passed away just 24 days before this performance. She can't hear, nor can she speak. No bridle, no saddle... all commands are by touch only. This is one of those, "I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes" kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKK7AXLOUNo

Judy
Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have to say that those Kenmores are the ugliest machines I have ever seen. I see them ever so often on CLs, and I just chuckle at the prices that some want for them. But if the machine works and produces a pretty stitch then that is all that matters.
I'm satisfied with its "tank" appearance ~ that one is for my 11 year old son :) he designed and did his first quilt at age 7 (took him a year until I did the final quilting on it)... now he wants to help make charity quilts. Sis has her very own machine, I think he was a little jealous... even tho he knows I'll help him craft any time :) he was thrilled when this came home! and the fact that it looks a little "manly" compared to the vintage singers works soooo in my favor of getting him to sew!
EDIT: he just informed me that before he can make a quilt on "his" machine (LOL) he wants to make a stuffed animal first. Though you'd all get a chuckle outta that, after all it is his!