Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift? >

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Old 05-28-2011, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I stopped giving them a long time ago (unless it's for charity). If someone has a quilt of mine it is because they bought it.
Great answer!
sandy
Old 05-28-2011, 03:45 AM

What No Money,that just goes to show people how GREEDY they really are,after all that work and not a thank you.I have been blessed so far I think every crochet Afghan and quilt I have given away as gifts the people seem to really love them.I sure hope so,because I love getting home made gifts myself better than most bought ones.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Learned a lesson along the way and that's that everyone doesn't have my same tastes. When I make a quilt it's because
I made a whole bunch of baby stuff for my first GD. EXDIL promptly took it to the flea market and sold it. Nuff said. You noticed the EX? Boy, was I glad to get rid of her. The GD and I are very close.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:58 AM
mim

I once owned a gift and local art shop on the coast of Maine. When someone came in and didn't know what to bring back for a gift, I always suggested a decorated candle. I told them that the recipient could either keep it or give it away and say they burned it if they didn't like it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even quilters have very different ideas of a great quilt. We are polite about it though.

Mim
Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 AM

Quite frankly I inquire if they "like" quilts that I make, if they say yes, I inquire if they would actually use a quilt if they get one. I also ask them to be honest with me about if they would actually like a quilt or if they would prefer something else. Ask color preferences and have even let them pick from several patterns. The only time I didn't ask was when a niece was undergoing chemo and was saying she was cold all the time after a treatment. Made her a flannel quilt with a wool bat inside, so she could wrap up in it. This was almost 10 years ago and she will still mention that she curls up under it when she feels sad. That also warms my heart.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:08 AM

the only disappointment i feel is when i dont even get a thank you, any accknowledgment that they even received what i gave them, other than that they can do what they want with it.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:18 AM

The last time I got offended was a few weeks ago and am still trying not to be angry. My very immature stepdaughter made a comment a while back about wanting a quilt. I thought about it for a long time before I made it because..well, long story..anyway, made it, no thank you, just got..well it's about time you made me one. Thats it. Never again. People do not realize the time that goes into them. But lesson learned.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:21 AM

Sad to say, Yes, I get offended. Made my step-daughter a quilt, which she said she loved....but she keeps it hidden so it doesn't "upset" her Mother. I try to understand....but Hubs made such a big deal about making sure all of his kids got quilts since mine all did....
Old 05-28-2011, 04:22 AM

I also send a quilt to my niece for her first baby. No Thank You from my sister or from her. Not an acknowledgement that I sent it....nothing. Got the return-receipt from the post office, so I know she got it. >
Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 AM

Gifts are only gifts if no strings are attached. I don't expect others to dictate how I use the gifts they give me, so why should I dictate how others respond to the gifts that I give? I have family members that give me things all the time, but expect something in return. That's not appropriate. For example, my MIL sends ugly clothing for my son all of the time, with instructions to dress our son in them and send her the pictures. not. going. to. happen. I don't always appreciate what others send to us, so I'm not about to ask that others appreciate what I give to them.