Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years.... >

If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

Old 05-28-2011, 04:47 AM

It was reported in the news May 13, 2011.

CHICAGO, Ill.—
If you shop at Michaels stores and pay electronically, your bank information could have been compromised.

Someone tampered with nearly 100 pin entry pads at Michaels stores in 20 states, including Illinois. The tampered devices made customers’ bank information available to crooks.

Topics

Crimes
Credit and Debt
Chicago
See more topics »

XIllinois The scheme was discovered after customers began reporting fraudulent transactions to law enforcement. Two Illinois women are credited with discovering the crime.

Store officials say they’re replacing more than 7,000 pin pads even though only about 90 were actually compromised.

There is no word yet from store officials or law enforcement concerning who might be responsible for the tampering. The scope and time frame also remain unclear.

The Better Business Bureau warns customers who might be vulnerable to avoid waiting. Instead, take immediate action.

That action includes contacting your bank or credit card company to confirm no fraudulent transactions happened. You should change pin numbers on any cards which might be compromised and contact the credit bureaus to be sure no new accounts have been opened in your name

Michaels issued this e-mail statement to customers on its mailing list:

Dear Michaels Customer:

Michaels has just learned that it may have been a victim of PIN pad tampering in the Chicago area and that customer credit and debit card information may have been compromised.

In the event that this is a more widespread issue, we are taking the precautionary measure of alerting all of our customers so that they may protect themselves. We recommend immediately contacting your bank and/or credit card company to check for and report any unauthorized charges, as well as seek their advice on how to protect your account in the event that your information has been taken.

Additional information is available on the Federal Trade Commission website at
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...s/alt150.shtm.
I know this doesn't make you feel better, I'd be mad too that the bank didn't notify you so you could get a new card in the works sooner. It's a pain. I've had it done to me. Good luck, keep aware of your bank statements. You only have usually 60 days to protest a debit to your account before it becomes null and void. Cheryl
Old 05-28-2011, 05:06 AM

To 2000HD and all reading this thread:

A grocery chain in my area does an accounting balance on Friday evening around 6:00pm to 7:00pm. What that has to do with this subject is: The store refused my card. My paycheck was auto deposited at 12:01am that day. There was money in that account so why was my card rejected? The store manager said try that bank (same shopping center) and of course it worked. So why did he say my card wasn't good instead of saying 'We are doing a balance check'?
I do not shop at ACME because of that lie! And many people know about this now.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:31 AM

I watch my account closely.....its a must when you're stretching pennies as far as I am. My whole issue is them NOT notifying me. Have no problem with a new card its just their poor customer service that has me ticked.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
websites say 20 states were involved including NC which is where I would have used mine. It doesn't state which stores though.
There is a list of which stores, under the article where it says Michaels credit card fraud more widespread than thought, go read that link, and it has a link that shows which stores in the 20 states involved.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Had this happen to me about 3 years ago. This was from eating at out. Small town bank was on top of it and called me when they got news of cards being on the list. I could have still used my card, but it was not safe and they let me know and cancelled it while on the phone to me and sennt me a new card in just about 3 days. Sometimes small town banks are the best. We do have accounts with "well known" banks and hope they would do the same.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:30 AM

That sounds like a nightmare. Glad I haven't been there in awhile. Good luck to you all with this situation
Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 AM

I don't shop Michael's frequently, maybe one in the last two years but thankfully I have a credit union that is very good about notifying me about suspicous charges. Anytime there is a transaction over the average amount of what I usually charge they call to check. They usually call for any charge over several hundred dollars. I would rather have them call and check than have my account wiped out.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by quilter68
To 2000HD and all reading this thread:

A grocery chain in my area does an accounting balance on Friday evening around 6:00pm to 7:00pm. What that has to do with this subject is: The store refused my card. My paycheck was auto deposited at 12:01am that day. There was money in that account so why was my card rejected? The store manager said try that bank (same shopping center) and of course it worked. So why did he say my card wasn't good instead of saying 'We are doing a balance check'?
I do not shop at ACME because of that lie! And many people know about this now.
I understand. One grocery near me rejected my card. The first time I called the bank in a panic-nothing wrong with my account. the store blamed the bank's satellite when I went back and complained. Next time it happened I just walked out, went across the street and bought the same stuff at their competitor . Purchase went right thru. NEVER had a problem at the second store. They've had my business ever since.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 AM

(to ginnie6) Im in SC too. If you are over 55 you can get a "free" acct (checking)at BB&T (there are criteria - I have a retirement check auto deposited so it gives me free checking), under 55 I think theres still a way. I do get a free statement but can do online banking and have access to my acct activity 24/7 if I want. I also have a Wachovia acct and its free (for now, I asked a teller last month and since its been bought out by Wells Fargo changes are still going thru - she said by Sept they should be settled) sharet
Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
Can you mention the name of the bank?

It has been a while since I shopped at Michaels, but I think it has been within the last two years.
me neither. I didn't even know this happened.