Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG Problems. Suggestions? >

GFG Problems. Suggestions?

GFG Problems. Suggestions?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter from www.quiltville has been doing a large GFG, I'm sure you could find some hints on her site. She does great tutorials.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 AM

Sue Daley at Busyfingers uses sewline glue instead of basting and it is much quicker and easier - She has a tutorial and glue is water soluable - I love the technique.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
Any suggestions from anyone or does it just get better with doing it more? Any accessories that I should have? ...
Tara
You could skip the paper/card-stock all together by using Inklingo to print your hexagons directly on fabric with an inkjet printer and then hand piece them. See "Shop & Freebies -> Hexagons" at:

http://www.Inklingo.com

There are many freebies if you want to test the process. Or, go directly to the hexagons at:

http://www.inklingo.com/shop/hexagon-quilt-templates/5

There is a video about making a GFG on the above web page. Linda Franz has a Yahoo group if you have any questions.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I used freezer paper not card stock. It bastes really ease. When I whip stitch my hexes together I only catch the fabric and not the paper. Lots of ways to do this style of hand work.
I have one that I took with me to the hospital. I used computer paper to baste to.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:10 AM

I am working on a GFG also. I have done about 93 flowers. I think I totally understand what you are saying. I think you are only using one cardstock(that is my preference too) but at the corners the fabric is now folded to where there is 4 layers. I just basted one to see how exactly I am doing it. In my corners where you are talking about I have three layers. Depending on the fabric, it usually goes through pretty easily. Some fabrics require a little help. I am wondering if your cardstock may be too thick. I am using a package from thePaper Studio which has 50 sheets of 8x11". It doesn't have a weight on it but check yours to make sure it is just cardstock and not something heavier. And the corners should have only three layers of fabric. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:43 AM

I am working on a GFG also and using card stock for the templates. When I do the first basting of the fabric around the card stock temp. I just fold over the edges and just catch the fabric on the backside of the template at the corners and put a couple of stitches at each corner. At the last corner I continue to the first one and take an extra stitch to help hold them all in place. Does that make sense? No going thru card stock. BTW Love your colors on the one u showed!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM

I do not use card stock but paper.
Old books will tell you paper as well, it is what people had. Paper for the printer (olden days: typing paper) is just about right. After they are put together and pressed, there is no need for the basting or the paper.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
This is the way I do my shapes. No need to sew thru the paper/cardboard/template, and no need to remove the basting threads when the project is complete.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 AM

I guess that I'm doing mine different. I am using card stock from my magazines but I'm starching with Best Press then wip stich. I really didn't want to baste.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:41 AM

Go to beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com She has one of the best tutorials for GMG. I am working on one and her tut has been so helpful.