Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG Problems. Suggestions? >

GFG Problems. Suggestions?

GFG Problems. Suggestions?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by KathyKat
Originally Posted by Kas
I completely solved this problem by buying stamps for the hexes from Stamps by Kate. I use brown ink on the light fabrics and white on the dark. It stamps out a sewing line and a cutting line. Presto. Just sew on the sewing line, no basting, no paper to later remove, just cut and sew.
I saw this stamp advertised and have been thinking about buying it. I looked at the video and it made sense to me. Do you machine or hand sew your hexes together?
Kathy
I am currently using her stamps to do a GFG. I have done a full size quilt using the English paper piecing method, and now, with my second GFG project, I'm working with the stamp method. I like the stamp because you don't have to baste or cut out paper templates. Therefore, you don't have to unbaste and take out the templates. It seems to save a lot of time. BUT, I felt the hexagon shape held together better using the English Paper Piecing method. With the stamp, you don't get as nice of a crisp, clean edge. However, as long as you are careful about sewing on the lines, you still will have very accurate piecing. I hand piece my GFG's because it makes such a nice take a long project.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Well, I have been reading with great interest all of the comments here. I am going to try a bunch of different basting methods to find out what works best for me.

It will be a paper piecing method type though because I was specifically looking for a hand pieced project to take along with me while I am out and about with the kids waiting for classes and such or can't be in front of the machine for some reason and want to keep my hands busy. Even if I just don't want to be in front of my machine but would rather be cuddled up on the couch listening to the TV or something.

It is very interesting to me to hear other people's comments on GFGs since this is my first one.

Tara
Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 PM

I forgot to mention, I live in Canada, about a seven hour drive from the 49th parallel so many things that are available in the states are not available here. Getting things shipped across the border can sometimes be cost prohibitive too.

Some of the tools that have been mentioned on here I have never heard of but I am taking note!

Tara
Old 05-28-2011, 02:17 PM

print the template on freezer paper - (leave enough space between each hexagon to you can cut 1/4" to 3/8" around each hexagon) - I cut the freezer paper to 8 1/2" x 11" letter size and then feed into the printer like a normal sheet of paper. Remember to print on the non-waxed side.

To save even more on the cutting out time, once my template page was printed - I staple a blank sheet of freezer paper to the back of the printed one, allowing me to cut out two hexagons at a time. I tried adding more sheets, but they slide, so two seems to be the maximum that can be done with accuracy (Accuracy is VERY important when making a hex quilt).

The next step is to iron the little hexagon templates (waxy side down) to the wrong side of the fabric. Really iron them on so they don't come off too easily.

Let the fabric cool down flat before continuing to the next step or the hexagons will just pop off.
Cut out the hexagons leaving a 1/4" to 3/8" seam allowance around the edge.

Now, because the freezer paper template is stuck to the fabric, it is much, much easier to accurately fold the seam over and baste around the edge to keep the shape. Baste only through the fabric, not the freezer paper and make sure to get the corners down securely. I normally double-baste at the corners. I "press" the fold with my nail when I fold it over to make sure it's a sharp edge Make sure you secure the corners well.

Voila, we're ready to whipstitch! Good Luck with your Grandmothers Garden quilt.

Took One Year to make this hexagon queen size quilt - all batiks - hope this helps!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203555[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-203549.jpe
Views:	28
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	203555  
Old 05-28-2011, 02:47 PM

I haven't read through all the replys so forgive me if someone has already suggested this...I use glue stick for basting the fabric onto the paper, it works great.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:37 PM

I'm doing one, but I don't baste through the index card/cardstock at all. I'll see if I can take a picture of what I do. I've made tons of hexagons.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:17 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by d.rickman
I staple a blank sheet of freezer paper to the back of the printed one, allowing me to cut out two hexagons at a time. I tried adding more sheets, but they slide, so two seems to be the maximum that can be done with accuracy (Accuracy is VERY important when making a hex quilt).
GORGEOUS quilt. I love the colors. It sparkles.

Hit the stack of freezer paper with the iron in spots to tack the sheets together. Then it won't slide and you can cut multiple sheets/templates at the same time.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by bookworm
Wait... why are you using 2 layers of card stock and 4 of fabric? Don't double up on those you really don't. Try it with one layer of card stock and one piece of fabric. WAYYY eaiser... oh and I just use printer paper
I think this is your problem... I have saved up tons of the inserts you find in magazines to request subscriptions. Every time AI sit in a Dr. appt. I ask the gal if it is ok to tear them out. I never have received a no... they work great! Our guild has don a gradmothers FG... and that was where I got the idea... we used these for our templates... :roll:
Old 05-29-2011, 01:24 AM

I believe you are only suppose to sew through the fabric.
If you sew through the cardstock how will you pull it out
if its sewn into your quilt piece?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:00 AM

Glue it!