Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years.... >

If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

Old 05-28-2011, 04:36 PM

Please write your bank a letter telling them exactly what they did/didn't do in the situation that you didn't like and what happened to you because because of their "mistake". Tell them also what you are going to do about it. Please do this before you move your account to another bank. I they don't get the message of why you are cancelling their services, they will never learn. I am not saying be rude about, just tell them the facts. They need to hear it and won't remember if what you say is only verbal.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Dee

Our MC was frozen for online buyingas they had an accounts
problem. So our bank is sending us new cards. Had to go to bank to get cash. And just ordered checks. All out.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2000HD
I know its a huge pain to have your D/C go down. I will try to give some info.
*Reordering a card takes 10-14 days, they have to be ordered, information uploaded, account(s) tied to, imprinted, and and mailed. The inprinting with your name maybe done by a 3rd party so they're "ordered".
*Changing the pin does not change the card tied to an account only your access.
*I've seen transactions from a compromised cards # show up 2+ years later with transactions from Bangkok in the thousands. It took minutes and the electronic fraud system stopped it, but there was a lot of damage done in a short time.
*It is not wise to use it online in my opinion, if you give someone that info you authorize them to do what ever they want to your checking/savings account. They can deny your dispute saying you authorized them and theres laws that protect them.
*You can have more than one D/card tied to an account. If you carry more than one you won't be caught without.
*Most banks have some sort of limit to help the fraud/loss if a card is hit.
*You can have a debit card and an ATM card tied to the same account. That way if your debit card goes down you can still go to an ATM and get some cash.
*I myself do not travel without ATM, debit card,and CC on me. Always have back up so you don't get stuck.
*There are so many things that can happen, lines go down, fraud, weather, machines won't read, plain old where your trying to shop don't support your d/c, hackers, theft from transaction processer companys. The list don't end.
* I know theres no reason for poor customer service, your bank might be spending tons of man-hours researching, disputing transactions, reordering compromised cards and setting up pins. Non of these crappy things are a push one button fix. Theres constant changing, not only the ways these jerks commit the fraud but the constant changing of rules and laws and how this stuff is handled.
*Update your address and phone # so if there is questions about something hitting your d/c they can get a hold of you.
*Balance your account, check your statements, you only have 60 days to dispute a charge.

*Ok I've blathered on long enough.
Have a great night!
Thanks for putting all that information on there. I work for a bank and it is frustrating to see this happen to people. A word of advice - if you are going to be doing any on line purchase open a seperate checking account with a completely different debit card and number. This way if something were to happen in cyberspace they can only access this account and not get to the bulk of your money. When we went on vacation last year we put our money in a seperate account and just took the debit cards attached to that account.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Same thing happened to me, but the bank could not tell me where my card was compromised. Must have been Michael's! I know the cancellation was for my protection, but it sure came as a surprise when it happened.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM

Great idea, I have co-workers that keep a d/c for vacations and then block it when its not in use. As long as you can keep it all straight.
The way the world is right now you have to be so on top of it.
In any given day I might see anything from family members useing granny's account to pay their bills, to someone falling for a get rich scam trying to cash a counterfeit money order, cashiers check, or trying to get their account number.
The skimming of d/c numbers or checking account numbers off from checks. I used to be so supprised when a new scam would hit.
Anymore nothing is safe. The public has to guard themselves as never before. It stinks!

Originally Posted by ragqueen03
Originally Posted by 2000HD
I know its a huge pain to have your D/C go down. I will try to give some info.
*Reordering a card takes 10-14 days, they have to be ordered, information uploaded, account(s) tied to, imprinted, and and mailed. The inprinting with your name maybe done by a 3rd party so they're "ordered".
*Changing the pin does not change the card tied to an account only your access.
*I've seen transactions from a compromised cards # show up 2+ years later with transactions from Bangkok in the thousands. It took minutes and the electronic fraud system stopped it, but there was a lot of damage done in a short time.
*It is not wise to use it online in my opinion, if you give someone that info you authorize them to do what ever they want to your checking/savings account. They can deny your dispute saying you authorized them and theres laws that protect them.
*You can have more than one D/card tied to an account. If you carry more than one you won't be caught without.
*Most banks have some sort of limit to help the fraud/loss if a card is hit.
*You can have a debit card and an ATM card tied to the same account. That way if your debit card goes down you can still go to an ATM and get some cash.
*I myself do not travel without ATM, debit card,and CC on me. Always have back up so you don't get stuck.
*There are so many things that can happen, lines go down, fraud, weather, machines won't read, plain old where your trying to shop don't support your d/c, hackers, theft from transaction processer companys. The list don't end.
* I know theres no reason for poor customer service, your bank might be spending tons of man-hours researching, disputing transactions, reordering compromised cards and setting up pins. Non of these crappy things are a push one button fix. Theres constant changing, not only the ways these jerks commit the fraud but the constant changing of rules and laws and how this stuff is handled.
*Update your address and phone # so if there is questions about something hitting your d/c they can get a hold of you.
*Balance your account, check your statements, you only have 60 days to dispute a charge.

*Ok I've blathered on long enough.
Have a great night!
Thanks for putting all that information on there. I work for a bank and it is frustrating to see this happen to people. A word of advice - if you are going to be doing any on line purchase open a seperate checking account with a completely different debit card and number. This way if something were to happen in cyberspace they can only access this account and not get to the bulk of your money. When we went on vacation last year we put our money in a seperate account and just took the debit cards attached to that account.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:36 PM

Yep !! me too. expired date on account. High charges charged.($200 and 195 ) bank called about fraud transaction. The card was accepted somewhere. The bank issued a new card & account. # and yes Michael's too blame. The mess may not be over. I am waiting for the next statement.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 PM

So sorry that you had to go through this!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:57 PM

Our bank did the same, cancelled the old and sent new ones, but called us to tell us, my hubs did not know why they had done that, but I heard it on TV also and told him, I shop a lot at Michaels, but haven't had any problems thank goodness.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:58 AM
jo

I recieved a notice that told me to watch my account. It also said it was only in a couple of states. So far so good.

A credit card I use regularly left me high and dry on vacation and we do not travel with cash. They canceled 2 cards with no balance and lowered my credit amount on the card they left open from 25,000.00 to 1,000.00, which was already used in the week were traveling. It was very embarassing to try and pay for dinner and have your card refused, thank goodness my daughter had a card with her.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ginnie6
your debit card may be cancelled! I had my card declined this morning at the grocery store. I don't carry cash or credit so had to leave everything there and come home to try and figure out what was going on. Called the bank and finally got someone to tell me it was because at some point in the last 2 years I have shopped at Michael's and since all their info has been compromised my card was cancelled. I also had to "account" for every recent purchase I have made. Now I don't mind them being on top of this BUT they could notify me! They send out letters telling me about this change and that change, that its going to cost me $3 a month for a paper statement, another telling that their checking is no longer free and will be $10 a month, but they cannot send me a letter telling me my card is being cancelled? I had to go to the bank, get cash, and go back and get my groceries all over again. Needless to say we are NOT happy bankers and are now looking for a new bank.
had this happen with hobby lobby too!

can't blame the bank..won't do any good to change either..they ALL do it...and if they had NOT and your info was stolen they would have gotten the blame anyway....
there are banks ready to do away with debit cards...too costly for them to keep doing all of this...cash will be king again soon!