Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ16 owners--I need help >

HQ16 owners--I need help

HQ16 owners--I need help

Old 05-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by misoop
Glad to hear that they are very helpful. I got my machine a year ago, and it had been used very little by the previous owner. I got the impression that she had lots of trouble with tension, but the dealer assured me it was "just the user" not the machine. I had read that longarms are notorious for their "picky tension" , etc....so I didn't think too much about it. And, I've had pretty good success...the norm, I think....having to tweak here and there on every quilt....but not like today and yesterday!! I've probably quilted 10-12 quilts on it. What do ya think?
With only 10-12 quilts it shouldn't need serviced. I think it is just be naughty, kind of like a little child. I think they will be able to help you at HQ. It may just be some little thing that is out of wack.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 PM

How tight is your quilt top? I had lots of problems with my HQ at first. I had to learn about not to over tighten the top or backing, what kind of thread my machine liked and even one batting that gave me FITS. One backing was awful too. Keep in mind everytime you figure something out, you are learning to troubleshoot for the next time. (and yes, I got VERY frustrated..and even thought of selling my set up)Keep your head up and take a deep breath!
Old 05-29-2011, 04:51 AM

make sure the thread is seated in the tension, you have to put the thread in like you are flossing, you can tell when the thread is seated. I missed mine once and had the same problem.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:20 AM

Had similar probs once. Ready to beat up the dog or take my frying fan to the HQ in frustration! For me it was the fact that it was wrong needle. I thought the ones I p/u at JoAnns were fine and they seemed to work OK when I put them in. Later got very cranky. You have to use the German ones that come in the fancy case. Groz-Beckert. They are slightly longer and the shaft is slightly different(Had to come all the way to Chile to have a guy explain to me that this is like a commercial machine and it needs these special needles to be it's happiest!) They come from 110/18 and on down to 75's. They are more $$ so I didn't get them b4. Went for the cheaper ones assuming they's be ok.

Just a thot.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 AM

Check to see if your bobbin case has been dropped. It may be bent or there may be lint in it. Put your bobbin in the palm of your hand or on a flat surface with the thread coming off counter clockwise (to the left), then place your bobbin case ontop pull your thread through the slot and under the spring.
I have a Avante and have no trouble with it except when I mess up the bobbin. To save me lots of trouble with the bobbin tension I purchased a Towa bobbin tension gauge, a life saver and recommend it highly.
Good luck.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:38 AM

Suzi, I am using the needles that my HQ dealer sells.... the kind that came with the machine. Are the ones you mentioned different from these??
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 AM

I think I will buy the Towa....I hear so many good things about it.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:51 AM

I had some issues too and I called the customer service line and within less than 5 minutes she had my tension adjusted over the phone. It was fabulous. Don't hesitate to call.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:08 AM

You will go crazy.HQ is a BIG help. I went to superior and
got a tension gauge. I have to tell you it's the best $68.00
I every spent.I didn't think it would work.Boy It's great

It's called - TOWA bobbin tension gauge -

HQ my sell it also.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Hallelujah!!! I went to my machine this morning for a quick try before going to church!! Thanks to all you ladies and your suggestions, I got it going!!! Your help is invaluable.....thank you, thank you.. I saw one video that was suggested, and never knew that your bobbin should drop sort of like a spider dropping down. Another person said to pull my thread toward the back, and to watch the resistance, etc......another said to change to a larger needle....did all of these, and I am now sewing again!!!! I think I can enjoy this beautiful Sunday now!!! Thanks again. I'll hold my breath when I RELOAD my quilt and try it again....pray!! :) I put the same thread and bobbin that I need to use on my quilt, and it worked!!! I'm a happy gal today....but, I think I may still order the Towa!!