Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 PM

I can only sew in socked or bare feet, actually. I just shift it to where it's comfortable to use with my big toe. ^_^
Old 05-29-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jennalyn
I can only sew in socked or bare feet, actually. I just shift it to where it's comfortable to use with my big toe. ^_^
Same with me, I use my bare foot or socks and use my big toe. If I have shoes on, I have to lean my whole foot over. I have often wondered why the foot pedal was made that way - older style shoes? Anyone know???? :shock:
Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM

I know when I use my foot pedal, I wind up twisting it 90 degrees so it gives the sole of my foot more room to work - more control so it doesn't run out of control. It does drive me nuts sometime to try to push and get no response, however!

Once I get it in the right spot, I hate to move around because it moves on the carpet. I'll have to get one of those plastic mesh type mats to keep it in place.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:30 PM

Yes, I have 2, one is a white one, made in Clydebank, Scottland in 1964 and the other one is a black centenial model made in Elizabeth, NJ in 1956. They are both in working order thanks to the book by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. I took a maintaince class this year when I went to MQS, so got the black one sort of serviced, but at least now I know how to do that. I haven't figured out how to send pictures to the group yet, maybe some day! :oops: I look on occassion at the antique stores to see if they have one, not that I need another one. I do use mine for piecing and really enjoy them. I also like to take one to retreats because they are so easy to take along. Look forward to the chit chat about all of yours. :lol:
Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ava
I have my Mothers Featherweight. Not sure how old it is.
I would love to use it but I cann't get use to the foot feed. Guess I need to practice. When I do use it I get so frustrated I guit and go to my Bernia.
Ava, do you mean the foot controller - when using the foot pedal, your heel goes on the button that makes the machine run, not the front of your foot. The front of your foot should rest on the flat surface while applying pressure with your heel. I too had problems with the foot controller, until I found out that I was using it wrong. My foot controller would be all over the place. I think the stationary button is to help keep your heel from slipping off the button.

Thanks to Billy who told me about the correct use of the pedal -I really enjoy sewing on it now.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM

HI, I want to join the club, too. I have the featherweight bug, bad! I have 4 black ones, a white/celery one and love the big sister 301's, too. I have a black 301, a long bed tan 301 and a LBOW 301. i use my 1936 black 221 the most, just a simple, beautiful machine. It's funny because they are all a little different. I do have a question about the tension. Does anyone find that their upper tension is tight, even when it's set loose. I have the NJS book and have taken all the tensions apart and re-adjusted them. Some just seem tight and the thread pulls stiffly when removing the work. Any thoughts or solutions?
Thanks,
Jane
Old 05-29-2011, 10:34 PM

I have 2 FW's a black one and a light mint green one. I use the black alot I just love the way they sew and go over thick seams. I don't use the green one very much. I gave it to a friend of mine and her DH gave it back after she passed, so I named it after her.

Meet Lena. She was born Aug. 11, 1952
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204136[/ATTACH]

Meet Wanda. She was born Sept. 16, 1963
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204137[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-204130.jpe
Views:	131
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	204136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-204131.jpe
Views:	99
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	204137  
Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 AM

I bought a 221 on ebay a couple of months ago. I hesitated for while - did I really need this - but when I realised that it was from my birth year (1953) I decided it was fate, and bought it! I love it - it's in very good condition and sews like a dream. There aren't many accessories, but as the feet from my Janome fit it, that's not a problem. I am short of bobbins, though, so must buy some soon.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 AM

I own a white Featherweight. Her name is Bessie after my Aunt who gave me my first machine, her old Singer. I don't know what Model never paid attention to that. I was just a kid then.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Originally Posted by Ava
I have my Mothers Featherweight. Not sure how old it is.
I would love to use it but I cann't get use to the foot feed. Guess I need to practice. When I do use it I get so frustrated I guit and go to my Bernia.
Ava, do you mean the foot controller - when using the foot pedal, your heel goes on the button that makes the machine run, not the front of your foot. The front of your foot should rest on the flat surface while applying pressure with your heel. I too had problems with the foot controller, until I found out that I was using it wrong. My foot controller would be all over the place. I think the stationary button is to help keep your heel from slipping off the button.

Thanks to Billy who told me about the correct use of the pedal -I really enjoy sewing on it now.
Thanks so much - that's how I figured it was supposed to be used, but I tried all sorts of combinations before I came to that conclusion.