Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Downsize your Magazines >

How to Downsize your Magazines

How to Downsize your Magazines

Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 AM

I keep my magazines for several months - then I too, tear them apart and put what I want to keep in paper protectors. I categorize into baby, general, hints and tips, runners, table coverings, etc. When I want to make something, I take it out and photocopy it and put the original back in the sleeve. I use the photocopy to write on to determine fabrics, sizes, colors, whatever information I need. You can also carry swatches of your materials in there and take it with you to the store for additional colors, threads, etc.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 AM

I am doing the same - much organizing being done this spring. I love to save the magazines and patterns; but needed a better system and saw this on the board. I just love this board. Looking through the magazines in an organized manner helps me to be organized in my brain too. Its like going to the movies for me. We live ruraly and a country life so its not just down the street to attend an evening flick; besides I'm so far behind on the movie sceen I'd never get caught up and I LOVE SEWING !
Thank so much for this BOARD !
Old 05-30-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by BabyCakes
I did the same thing :thumbup:
I JUST CANNOT DOWN SIZE ON MY QUILTING OR CROCHETING MAGAZINES,BOOKS YARN OR FABRIC.MY FAMILY DON'T EVEN GO THERE TO ASK.THEY ALREADY THE ANSWER LOL.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 AM

Great ideas. I bought a couple of quilt patterns that were cut out of the magazines that someone didn't want. She would cut hers apart and then sale what she didn't want on ebay. They were put in sleeves. One way to make some money on what she didn't want and someone else might.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 AM

I have been dong the same thing then I pass on what is left of mag to friends.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:25 AM

Like my food recipes, I'd have to live a couple of lifetimes to go through all that I THINK I want to try. HAhaha

Actually, I let the library store those patterns for me... in the form of books, magazines, etc. and then when I actually need to start on a project, I make photo copies (at the library) and go on from there.

Remember, "Less is more." more room for storing stash, moving around, breathing, etc. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 AM

great idea...I like that...my magazines and single patterns are hard to store...and I don't want to put them away...thanks for sharing
Old 05-30-2011, 06:38 AM

I just finished going thru about 10 years' worth of magazines...and found there were usually only one or two patterns in each magazine that I truly liked AND realistically would make! I put the patterns in sleeves & notebooks -- SO much nicer. Will take all the leftovers to my quilting retreat this next weekend to pass around.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 AM

"Now I have to downsize the saved patterns"

Exactly!!!!!And now I have to find a way to corral all the neat internet patterns I download......LOL!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:51 AM

I'll probably do this someday. It seems a daunting task right now though because I have so many magazines!