Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 AM

I don't want to know what I spend. I would scare me to death and take the fun out of this hobby. Plus my husband probably would make me quit!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:34 AM

The king size quilt TOP I made for my bed was about $100...I used southwest fabric and I bought it at a lqs, so it was a bit more expensive. I have not bought the backing or batting yet but I will use a bleached muslin for the backing since it is for my bed and we are unconcerned about the back of the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-204227.jpe
Views:	117
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	204233  
Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 AM

Last one I made for my grandson's birthday cost approx. $100 queen size. Plus 4 months of my time intermittently. I called him when it was ready and can't even get him to come pick it up. Needless to say I'm disappointed. Meant more to me than it does to him. Some day he may appreciate it. Today is not that day.

The encouragement I get from this board really keeps me going.

I have a very small stash and lots of it was free from I don't even know where.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Subee
My scrap quilts are made from leftovers (fabric and batting) of other quilts.
I still consider them free quilts.
I would too because if a person were calculating, the cost of the fabric and batting would have already been accounted for by the original quilt.

But I've seen people say, 'This quilt was free" because I used fabric from my stash. That is is funny to me and about like saying, "Dinner didn't cost anything because I used what was in my cupboards and refrigerator/freezer" as if it was really free when you put it in there. Most of us buy the stuff that goes in the cupboards and fridge and freezer. :)

I'm starting to get curious about this because I am. I've never really taken time to write things down and I'm wishing I had.

When I make the charity quilts, I know I use poly batting which costs about $60 for 50 meters. I takes about 3 meters for each quilt (with some leftovers). When I gave away three quilts yesterday, the lady who got them asked me how long they took me to make, and I had to answer that honestly, I didn't know.

I'm curious about it, however, and thinking about keeping a log. I do keep receipts for my fabric, but not for each individual quilt/top that I make.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 AM

Quilting is an activity that adds richness to my life. I'm never happier than when i'm making a quilt for someone I care about--unless it's the moment I present it to its intended recipient. A better question in my mind is the cost to me if I DIDN'T quilt.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnana1
I am anxious to see how the numbers roll. This is a question I have been asked. I usually just consider the current project when responding. Need to think about more than one. Not sure I want to face the stark reality of a total, though. Think there may be some denial going on here. Lol
These were my thoughts as well. I'm not so much in denial as just lazy, I guess. Didn't want to take the time to write it all down.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:50 AM

It costs me between $150 and $350 for materials to make the quilt - this does not include time spent or any of those intangible things that you cannot price. What this means to me is that I cannot afford to make quilts for people who want to pay me to make the quilt - because they won't want to compensate me for time, machines and expertise.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 AM

I finished and donated a quilt this spring which is now hanging in a church in Kenya. How do you put a price tag on that?
But to be honest, when someone does ask me to do a quilt, I normally expect to be reimbursed for materials and about $7.50-$10 an hour for my time.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by brosier
It costs me between $150 and $350 for materials to make the quilt - this does not include time spent or any of those intangible things that you cannot price. What this means to me is that I cannot afford to make quilts for people who want to pay me to make the quilt - because they won't want to compensate me for time, machines and expertise.
Totally agree with that! Most people just don't get it!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 AM

It's like my husband tells me, I could have more expensive, and worse habits like drinking and drugs