Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELPPPPPPPPPP!!! >

HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:40 AM

It sounds like you need your sewing surface to be
slick. Try silicone spray. It dries almost instantly
and makes the surface very smooth and slippery.
This is what I do and it works. Also a pair of
Machingers. They are reasonably priced and help
you move the fabric much better. No slipping of the
material any more!!! I hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:46 AM

i agree with everyone else , get some gloves that have a grip on them , i have machingers gloves and love them alos i tried the supreme slider didnt like it , i ended up sewing it to the back of my quilt!! the tape i used to hold it down came off, i did try the oven liners from menards and they work just a good but are cheaper and coer a larger space that the slider thing i paid 30.00 for
Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 AM

I agree, I always use gloves because I can't move the quilt sandwich smoothly without them!
Originally Posted by Bonbonary
Are you using gloves? I find the material is so much easier to move with them.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 AM

I bought my gloves at wm in the cleaning isle they are mr.clean and they work great they fit like a glove(sorry),they are white with blue rubbery stuff on them and they breath and my hands don't sweat.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 AM

My Bernina has a stich regulator (the BSR) that really helps keep the free motion stitches even. Practicing free motion stitching on something like potholders will help you with both the "flow" and evenness of your stitches. Try stitching your quilt in the ditch, or using the walking foot with the guides to stitch crosshatch design. Both of those methods are fairly easy to accomplish and make you feel good about your finished quilt! Happy quilting!!

Originally Posted by luv2so
I'm working on my first ever quilt. Trying to do some free motion but my fabrics don't seem to move freely. Feed dogs are down, have quilting foot on, but it seems to be jerky movements.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to put something under the backing? I've beens sewing for over 50 years and this is my first attempt at a quilt. I love all the quilts you ladies, and gentlemen, make. You've all inspired me, just need some help on how to make the fabric move more smoothly.

I hope I explained it so you can understand my problem! I'm so new at this quilting stuff.

Thank you!
Diana
Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 AM

did you know that your machine has several tensions? I have sewed all my life (80) and found this out by reading about the quilting process. There is the tension that you and I know about and then there is another just for the pressure foot. Mine is a screw on the top of my machine...Hope this helps...just unscrew it a bit and it will ease the pressure foot on the fabric so it will move more easily...Good luck
Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 AM

i've heard a bunch of people reccommend the gloves. They made my hands too hot and sweaty. I just got the little rubber finger things you wear on the tips of your fingers and they work great for me. You can also just cut the fingertips off of a pair of rubber kitchen gloves. Just a couple of suggestions. Hope it helps. Much cheaper than the gloves and more comfy. IMHO
Also, much cheaper is a pair of gardening gloves from Lowes or Home Depot. They have the little rubber bumps on them for gripping the fabric.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Hey quilterguy. I have been beating the drum for people to try a drop or two of glycerin instead of using gloves. Wish someone else would try it and give me some feedback. The glycerin give the hands all the tackiness needed and no fussing with gloves, don't have to take them off to work on machine, no sweating hands. Buy the glycerin at pharmacy (got mine at Wal-Mart for $4, big enough bottle to last three life times!).
Originally Posted by quilterguy27
i've heard a bunch of people reccommend the gloves. They made my hands too hot and sweaty. I just got the little rubber finger things you wear on the tips of your fingers and they work great for me. You can also just cut the fingertips off of a pair of rubber kitchen gloves. Just a couple of suggestions. Hope it helps. Much cheaper than the gloves and more comfy. IMHO
Also, much cheaper is a pair of gardening gloves from Lowes or Home Depot. They have the little rubber bumps on them for gripping the fabric.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:29 AM

Besides my dishwashing gloves that I can't FMQ without, I've found my embroidery foot works as well as the darning foot--for what it's worth!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by luv2so
I'm working on my first ever quilt. Trying to do some free motion but my fabrics don't seem to move freely. Feed dogs are down, have quilting foot on, but it seems to be jerky movements.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to put something under the backing? I've beens sewing for over 50 years and this is my first attempt at a quilt. I love all the quilts you ladies, and gentlemen, make. You've all inspired me, just need some help on how to make the fabric move more smoothly.

I hope I explained it so you can understand my problem! I'm so new at this quilting stuff.

Thank you!
Diana
Take your quilt out of the machine, make a piece that is the same material, then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I have been trying to get it right for months now, it is finally beginning to look like something, but it is all in the rhythym..keep trying and keep practicing