Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELPPPPPPPPPP!!! >

HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 AM

I use Machingers gloves but I've also used thoses rubber finger tips that you can get at an office supply store by the box.
Last year I purchased the Supreme Glider and it really helps move the fabric.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM

if gloves are what you are looking for, go to a garden shop and get the cheap fabric ones with the dots on them. they will work just as good and do not cost much at all...
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 AM

I use plain gardening gloves with the rubberized texture. They were easier to find when I first tried machine quilting.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

You just need any type of glove that grips the fabric and won't slide. My favorite are a pair of "digz" gardening gloves I picked up at Home Depot for $3.99 with rough rubberized fingertips. Then practice, practice, practice. I use a glove on my left hand when I am stitching a binding on - it really relaxes my hand, arm and shoulder, and helps me keep control of the quilt.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM

Are you using the regular foot, or the free motion/ darning foot on? I know that makes a HUGE difference!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 PM

Are you using a darning foot, gloves that are made for moving the material, feed dogs all the way down and low tension to let the thread move freely!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM

I took a FMQ class and one of the things the teacher had us do (with a practice sandwich like others have suggested) was to practice writing your name in cursive. It's something you're very familiar with, have been doing since you were in 3rd grade, and will help you get in "rhythm". She also had us work with a partner who held a pencil vertical right on a sheet of paper and then we practiced getting a smooth motion by moving the paper under the pencil (a lot cheaper than making practice sandwiches). I "hijacked" DH and told him "no fmq practice, no dinner!" But I'm still struggling to get that smooth motion down. I may have to resort to another suggestion I've read- drink a glass of wine before practicing!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Sometimes when free motion quilting, my fabric sticks to my table, so first thing I did was to grab a piece of wax paper and rub it across the surface i use for quilting, before I purchased quilters gloves, I used a simple pair of latex gloves, also I tried cotton garden gloves with the little bumps, they really make moving the fabric easier to move :D :thumbup:
Old 05-30-2011, 01:13 PM

I use a pair of gloves, i got several cheap pairs of ladies gardening gloves at menards, they have the little rubbery dots on the one side. It makes a big difference to use gloves.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:24 PM

I didn't like the gloves with the rubberized palm, my hands got too hot. The machingers gloves work the best for me, they help me grip the fabric and my hands don't sweat. The Supreme Slider is a big help too. I use a 90/14 top stitch needle, has a bigger eye and seems to make it easier
to do FMQ. Relax your shoulders and remember this is supposed to be fun!