Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG Problems. Suggestions? >

GFG Problems. Suggestions?

GFG Problems. Suggestions?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 AM

Cast an eye here to see how interesting is this way to to English Paper Piecing... and here you'll have a good notion on how to sew the hexes together...

http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html
Old 05-29-2011, 09:01 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by sfguimaraes
Cast an eye here to see how interesting is this way to to English Paper Piecing... and here you'll have a good notion on how to sew the hexes together...

That was a beautifully detailed step-by-step tutorial with wonderful pictures.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by sfguimaraes

That was a beautifully detailed step-by-step tutorial with wonderful pictures.
Thanks for sharing.
Ditto:) :)
Old 05-30-2011, 01:37 PM

First of all, you don[t sew through the cardstock, (or paper, if you use that..) secondly, I'm having trouboe with wsome hand sewing, and have a small hemostat handy, to pull the needle through.... I found some, (made in asia,) at a huge(so called) Yard sale, at the local airport.... They usually sell for $3, or 5/$10.. I have them laying all over the house, to help me pull small things through material, etc... Hemostats come in many sizes, but I like the smaller ones for sewing... Try it, you'll like it... I like them now, since my 2 little fingers, (left hand) are numb, due to too much knitting & crocheting. my operation will be 6/2/2011... Diana.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
The problem isn't when I am whip stitching the hexes together. That is going great. The problem is when doing the initial quick baste to hold the square of fabric around the hex. I'll get pics.

The first pic will be my first flower and the second will be the baste process the tutorial taught.

Tara

I don't ever baste through the card stock, I go around the edge with a basting stitch, making neat folds at the corners, pull my thread tight, it'll pull together like closing a bag, do a few back stitches and it is all nice and flat against the card stock hexagon. You can pull the card stock out after at what ever point you want to, but you never have to go back and remover the basting, which is time consuming, as it doesn't show from the front and actually gives your piece a little bit more stability.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
I was looking for a fully by hand quilt to work on while waiting for my kids during classes and things and someone on here posted a youtube english paper piecing tutorial for a GFG quilt. It seemed simple enough so I got decided on and got together the fabrics together, got it all prepped and then got card stock and printed out and then cut a bunch of hexes.

I now have one flower fully complete with its pathway, another flower started and almost enough hexes basted to end up with seven flowers complete with pathway.
Tara,
Quilt Patis by Pati Shambaugh 911 City Park ave. Columbus Ohio 43206 .I am working on 1" hexagons Grandmother flower garden using the quilt patis reusable plastic shapes. Pati has adorable samples to inspire you.
Check out http://www.jaybirdquilt.com (hand sewing hexagons)

This is a great project carry in small ziploc bag ready to sew..
do a search( hand sewing hexagons) you tube tutorial available
Good luck.
Traditional
My problem? I am having a hard time with the basting. I find it hard to push/pull the needle through four layers of fabric and two layers of card stock. That's my right hand. My left fingers get "tired" from pinching the fabric and card to baste it.

Any suggestions from anyone or does it just get better with doing it more? Any accessories that I should have? I do have an open endish type thimble but have a hard time with it. Maybe using it would just give me the practice with it to get used to it. I also have what I have always heard called finger condoms that I was told to purchase for some class but I don't remember which one and therefore what their use was.

Tara
Old 05-30-2011, 03:25 PM

One of my favorite quilts to hand piece is a GFG, but I do not paper piece them. I have made several and I find that the hexagons are easy to sew together. I would not take the extra time to do the paper piecing on that one. That is just my opinion, though. Seems like most people do the paper piecing when they make them.

Here is a pic of a throw I did recently....no paper used.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204469[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-204463.jpe
Views:	20
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	204469  
Old 05-30-2011, 03:50 PM

SIMPLY GORGEOUS....I may be contacting you when(or if) I ever do one of these.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by kimg
One of my favorite quilts to hand piece is a GFG, but I do not paper piece them. I have made several and I find that the hexagons are easy to sew together. I would not take the extra time to do the paper piecing on that one. That is just my opinion, though. Seems like most people do the paper piecing when they make them.
What size are your hexagons?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:55 PM

I have a template to cut hexagons from a 2 1/2 strip. I also have a template that has lines to cut them from many sizes of strips. The throw I made used the 2 1/2 inch strips to cut the hexagons.