Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Downsize your Magazines >

How to Downsize your Magazines

How to Downsize your Magazines

Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 PM

I scan the patterns, whether quilting, knitting, crocheting, and save them as a pdf file. Then I save them to an external hard drive so that my computer is not bogged down with hundreds of files. The patterns I use the most, I keep in a binder. I find that I am able to "clear out" a lot of paper. I worked the last 4 days on scanning! I have books - magazines - prints off of the internet- collected over the last 40+ years! So I think I'll be scanning 'til the day I die! I'm going to try to sell the books. What doesn't sell, I'll give to charity.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM

I scan the patterns from the books that I think I will be using. This keeps the books intact so that I can resell or give to others. I do keep them in three ring binders and label them so they are easy to find.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
Now, I'm digitizing everything! I'm scanning the paper copies onto my computer into similar folders and GETTING RID OF THE PAPER!!
Can you share what scanner you use if it's a sheet-fed type, multiple pages at a time? Also what software do you use to organize, or is it part of the scanner? When they get around to making it easy for us to convert it all to digital & carry it around on something like a kindle, I'm in.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:47 PM

I am just starting this process and am doing it just the way you describe. I think it will be time consuming but totally worth it when they are all done. :thumbup:
Old 05-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
I kept all my mags but then found one day that the styles and colours change so much over here that I would never want to quilt most the patterns now. I am going to try scanning them into my laptop now that we have a new printer.
Something you might try since you're scanning anyway...(I learned this from the lady who does pixelated photo quilts), save a 2nd copy of a quilt picture in grayscale, so you can see just the light, medium, & darks of the pattern. You may find you like the pattern, just not the dated color choices. If you can't see enough variation in the pattern, open the picture with any photo program, & increase "contrast" and it will separate the shading more intensely.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
I have a hand-held scanner that I bought off one of the tv channels. It allows you to wave the "wand" over the paper. You can then download to your computer. it puts things in either a jpg or pdf format to save. Now...no paper at all!
What brand model do you use & about what cost, if you don't mind sharing. How do you know how fast to move the scanner, to get a clean scanned picture? Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 PM

I have done the same thing. Funny how much we quilters think alike!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 PM

Several yars ago I decided to donate my magazine library to a local library. I wasn't using them any more (Too Many) and the library was pleased to acquire them. Now I have more space...for fabric!!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by bebe
I love to buy magazines and often buy for only 1 or 2 patterns or a article. As they start accumulating I run out of space. So one day i decided to downsize but could not part with them. So i decided to go through the magazines and tear out the pages of patterns or articles I liked and made my own books. Yes I did tear my magazine apart. :-D :-D :-D Now when i want to find a pattern or article I just thumb through my notebooks much easier and faster. Eventually i will put tabs in so I can see what exactly I have. Worth doing it i recommend it. You need to buy large notebook and clear protector sheets.

I did the same. Even put my bought patterns in sheet
protectors in thier own notebook.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
...I also made a list on Excel of all the patterns I have. I can do a "find" if I know the name and there is the pattern and what book it is in and what page. This also keeps me from duplicating.
Does anyone know if it's possible to add "tags" or keywords to regular photos saved on the computer without moving them from the folder they are in? Thanks