Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help hand quilting edges >

need help hand quilting edges

need help hand quilting edges

Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 AM

Anyone have tips on hand quilting edges of quilts? I use a frame which works fine until I get to the edges. Since there's not enough fabric to hold taut, I'm not sure if there is some trick I can use to hold the fabric firmly in place. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 AM

Basically you hem it like a skirt using a blind stitch. You would need to press it first and pin as well to hold it in place. Use the same color thread as the binding.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 AM

Take a piece of fabric and pin to edge of quilt to extend the area. Sometimess I'll use a wide piece of muslin and attach to edge of quilt by either basting or pinning.

Hope this helps. :-D
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I have a Q snap plastic frame that allows me to get pretty close - they're not expensive, come in lots of sizes and also good for hand quilting smaller pieces. Otherwise, I just quilt it without a frame, holding it taut with my left hand. Here's a link - it's a UK site but I expect they're available in your part of the world, at least online. http://www.quiltdirect.co.uk/acatalo...ap_Frames.html
Old 05-31-2011, 04:28 AM
dd

I pin an extra piece of fabric to the edge also. If you need to quilt where it's pinned just unpin that pin and repin when you have finished quiting in that area.

I have that plastic square frame also. I made sleeves for 2 side so I could pin the quilt to the sleeves for quilting the edges and corners. Works for me!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 AM

I take a piece of fabric that is about 5 inches x length of border and attach it to the quilt top by either safety pins or large basting stitches. Once I've quilted the top out to the edges I take off that extra fabric and finish off the quilt in the regular fashion.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 AM

I usually take the quilt out of the frame and lay it on a flat surface like my ping pong table to finish the borders. If the sandwhich is basted sufficently in the border area you should be able to apply enough tension with your free hand to allow you to finish the quilting. I have been doing it for years with very little problems.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Zebracar
I take a piece of fabric that is about 5 inches x length of border and attach it to the quilt top by either safety pins or large basting stitches. Once I've quilted the top out to the edges I take off that extra fabric and finish off the quilt in the regular fashion.
This is what I do also.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:41 AM

I bought a half circle hoop and it works great. It is hinged and has a piece of fabric which you can pin the side of your quilt to and get right up to the edge. I have had it for several years but I would think they would still be made. I just checked to see if there was any information stamped on the hoop and all there was was 'JACKIE'. Hope you can find one.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 AM

These are perfect suggestions. I can't begin to thank you enough for taking the time.