Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Kitzone
Irishrose - Thank you for the leads on Jolson and Nelco. I did a quick google search and didn't find any photo's that resemble my SM but I will do some further research. Judy
About a month ago, there was a pristine looking Jolson sewing machine for sale from an estate. The starting bid price was too much for my wallet, but I was interested in it. The history on Jolson and his Nelco brand is actually quite something. A true 'bootstraps' immigrant story of ingenuity and engineering.
Update: the machine didn't sell and it's up for sale again on Ebay. I just put another bid on it, but the reserve price is not met yet.
HI, I've been bidding on that very same machine, I believe. It's been listed several times, and I've been in contact with the seller, as the reserve was so high and then it showed up as sold for a far lesser price. I was curious and expressed my remorse for not bidding higher as the reserve was listed so high. Long story short, the buyer backed out, it was relisted and i bought it today. Can't wait to get it and I will post photos, and reviews when I get it. I have Necchis, Elnas, and a Nelco so it should be a nice combo of all of them.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I just came across this video today that I find extremely helpful to those that have treadles, and converting a Singer 319 to treadle. What I found wonderful about this video is that she demonstrates how a coil spring can be used as a treadle belt and the pluses to having a coil spring.
At 4:24 posting, showing how you can lift the machine up to get to the underside of machine, like for feet dog screw.
At 7:22 posting, showing the benefit of the coil spring when switching out machine heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q83SouHBOzk

Does anyone know where I can purchase a coil spring belt?
Help! I want one! I think this is so cool.
I received my answer to my question from the lady who made this video, a member of Threadlon. For those wishing to order a coil spring belt, the link for this information is in my "user page" under sewing machines.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 AM

I've posted a couple of questions about the Singer 201, and someone suggested that I should be asking here. So in case you haven't seen my other threads:
Any dates/model that are particularly good/ to be avoided? I've worked out that many of those available in the UK are the 201-3, with a drive belt rather than a potted motor (had never heard that term till yesterday - am learning fast!) . What about the 1960s brown one - is that as good as the older ones?
I want a machine that I can use for free motion quilting, as my expensive modern one is *!*! at it. Have people used the 201 for FMQ? I understand that a disadvantage is that the bobbins are small, but the 301 was apparently not sold in Europe, so I don't have that alternative, and there don't seem to be as many 15s around.
The drive belt on the one I'm looking at doesn't look great. Is replacing it a straightforward job?
Many thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

DH was on a roll this weekend and brought home two new machines yesterday, a Feather weight and a singer 201-2 in cabinet.

He is the one collecting and fixing the machines and cabinets and has taken a real fancy to the little Feather Weight. He ahs bought multiple ones and is now fixing and selling off some for fun.

The Singer 201-2 he bought for me, but now it is here and he has sewn on it, DH is also smitten. I have been looking for the Singer 201-2 for some time and I am very excited about finding one. There is a little damage on the outside of the machine but it looks like it was barely used and it runs wonderful eventhough DH has not cleaned or oiled it yet.

Singer 201-2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]204605[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-204598.jpe
Views:	568
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	204604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-204599.jpe
Views:	184
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	204605  
Old 05-31-2011, 05:05 AM

Another quick question - do the Featherweight and the 201 use the same bobbins?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
A funny story... when I was yet a novice in purchasing vintage machines, I purchased a beautiful red eye, cabinet, and all of the attachments I could every want. Then, I went on to purchase quite a few other machines, still not quite as educated as I could have been. Anyway, one day my sweet DIL was here visiting and showed some interest in sewing. Sewww, I said, 'here' you can take this one home if we can get it in your minivan. Which we did. By the time I was next visiting her, I was cleaning it for her and by that time, I also had learned more and realized I had given her my best vintage machine. She doesn't use it very much yet. I love her so much and am glad she has it but sometimes (just sometimes) I wish I had given her another machine. :oops: :oops: :-D
Sewextreme, you did the right thing giving that Redeye to your DIL. The Redeye was was one of the most produced machines Singer ever made so you can always find another one! It sounds like you have a very special DIL! I love to hear these stories. There are so many people who have daughters-in-law that they don't get along with! I am lucky to have two great DILs.

Nancy
Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I just got a Singer 201-2 (direct drive) so I have not sewn or quilted on it yet. DH researched it and said that the Singer 15-91 (also direct drive) would be better for quilting because it can handle thicker thread then the Singer 201. He just set up the singer 15-91 we have for quilting and it indeed quilts very nice. I have heard the Singer 201-2 because it is a direct drive is better for quilting but I am sure one with a belt would work too. Replacing a belt is not very hard. I am sure Billy or some one else on here can help you. The singer 201 has a larger space under the arm then a Singer 15 so I would think that with larger quilts would be a definite plus.

We also have a Singer 201 that has a belt. It was made in England. DH took the motor off because it did not work and put it in my threadle base. I really like how it treadles but the problem is I can not fold it down into the cabinet because the machine is too tall.

We also have a Singer 301 and that we enjoy for paper piecing. It is a smaller machine and portable. I would think the Singer 201 or 15 would be a better option for quilting as there is more space under the arm and the machines are much heavier.

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I've posted a couple of questions about the Singer 201, and someone suggested that I should be asking here. So in case you haven't seen my other threads:
Any dates/model that are particularly good/ to be avoided? I've worked out that many of those available in the UK are the 201-3, with a drive belt rather than a potted motor (had never heard that term till yesterday - am learning fast!) . What about the 1960s brown one - is that as good as the older ones?
I want a machine that I can use for free motion quilting, as my expensive modern one is *!*! at it. Have people used the 201 for FMQ? I understand that a disadvantage is that the bobbins are small, but the 301 was apparently not sold in Europe, so I don't have that alternative, and there don't seem to be as many 15s around.
The drive belt on the one I'm looking at doesn't look great. Is replacing it a straightforward job?
Many thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
spent yesterday and today "sale hopping". not a good idea when money tight. cant believee how many machines i have seen. did get a minnesota in treadle cabinet, needed the cabinet. also found a complete singer buttonholer for the slant shank machines. wish i were rich. LOL.
Buslady, we would love to see a picture of the Minnesota. What do you mean you needed the cabinet? Are you not keeping the machine?

Don't we all wish we had money to throw around.

Nancy
Old 05-31-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
Saw a sad sight the other day--someone made a 15-91 into a LAMP!!!!!!!
Now, that is something I have not seen! How weird that must look!

Nancy
Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
My son actually designed his first quilt when he was 7, it took us a year to make, because he did the majority of the work. Picked out fabrics, designed it, helped piece it, and arranged it for final layout then pieced. He helped baste it on the hand-quilting rack, he would come home and ask "Mom, I don't have any homework, can I baste?" He was in 2nd grade. Here is him working on his quilt :)

Now he is already asking to use my new 15 clone (the pretty black one I got Friday)
What a great quilt and handsome little guy! It is so much fun teaching the kids to sew. I have taught all my grandkids how to sew! I tried teaching my daughter, but after she sewed all the way through her index finger when she was little - she decided sewing was not for her!

Nancy