Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who are the longarmers??? >

Who are the longarmers???

Who are the longarmers???

Old 05-20-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
Hi.

I'm a longarm quilter. I bought an A-1 Elite and spent a few months quilting constantly, then opened my professional longarm quilting business in 2005, and I've been happily busy ever since.... I like the technique and the look of both kinds of quilting.
Love your avatar. What pattern is it? Do you have it posted on the board anywhere? Would love to see the whole quilt. :-D
Thank you for your kind words, SewExtreme! My avatar description is on the board someplace but I don't know where.

It's a simple pattern of pinwheels and 16patch blocks designed by Bonnie Hunter and available for free on her website www.quiltville.com. I think she calls it Patches and Pinwheels.

I had a lot of fun sewing it. I decided that I'm always making fun quilts for kids, with lots of novelty prints and their favorite things, and I was going to make one like that just for ME.

So I made it as a study in contrasts. I chose loads of fabrics in darks, mediums and lights. I put the darkest and lightest fabrics in the pinwheels and used lots of dotty fabrics. I put the light mediums and dark mediums in the 16-patch blocks.

There are Kaffe Fassett modern fabrics, novelty fabrics from Harry Potter and ScoobyDoo to Abe Lincoln, flowers and food, reproduction fabrics, and plaids and stripes and dots.

It's finished with 3 borders: a plain raspberry marble, then a pieced border of 4patches, then a black border with confetti in a gazillion colors. I quilted it with a pattern called Spin using a bright variegated King Tut thread by Superior.

It works for me. It's a fun quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199561.jpe
Views:	89
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	199567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-199562.jpe
Views:	89
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	199568  
Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 AM

I have had an APQS Millennium since 2000 and am as busy as I want to be in my retirement from my full-time job. The only problem....I have a hard time making and finishing my own quilts!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:40 AM

I've have an A 1 Elite for about 4 years and love it. I quilt for others. Free motion quilting is my specialty.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MyWifeMadeME
We are the proud owners of a Nolting longarm with a SideSaddle computer. Just curious how many longarmers are out here already and how many plan to buy.... Anyone that WOULD NOT longarm and prefer to hand stitch?
I also own a Nolting Pro 24 but no computer. Aren't they wonderful! I am a beginer. All I can say is Wow! I have seen quilts done with the new compterized quilting and it is a completely new level of quilting. You will find the opinion on this subject as wide as the oceans. People love or hate any degree of machine quilting. I love it all! Good luck and post some pictures of your machine and your work! I'll be watching!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 AM

I am the owner of a Gammill, Do free form and pantographs. Like to say I did it myself. Besides I am a bit computor challenged. lol I love my Premier!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 AM

APQS, works like a dream. I would like a stitch regulator for it. I think Nolting has one that will fit.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
I'm not financially able to buy one at this time, but I do dream of a longarm & do plan to buy one eventually. I read every post on this board about the pros & cons of owning one. On-line I've gone to the websites of all the big names in longarm machine. Bailey's seems to be at a good price for a new machine and I like the HQ16. I actually tried the HQ16 (sit down version) at a quilt shop and it sew so smoothly. I even have a picture of the HQ16 taped above my old sewing machine on my sewing room wall as incentive...ha. Although, I will probably buy a used longarm. And I have to think about space as my sewing room is only 10' x 12.6'. As my husband & I near retirement age I was hoping that this would be a way to suppliment our income...not be our income, but bring a little bit in every now & then. In the meantime (unless money falls from the sky or some sewing machine genie is giving one away) I'm dreaming, dreaming, dreaming!
Since the HQ Avante18 came out, alot of people are upgrading from their HQ16 to the Avante18. I have seen alot of used HQ16's lately at very reasonable prices. That may be an option to pursue.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:48 PM

I have a Tin LIzzie 18LS. I like it. No computer and no desire for one. I love the satisfaction of doing freehand quilting. I got it in December and started quilting for others in February and have done about 30 quilts since then. I also work full time as a Hotel Manager so I have no boring moments in my life! I wouldn't need to own a TV--as I am a Hotel Manager in daytime and Quilter at night! Who has time to sit and watch TV! I don't even have it on when I am quilting. I am a perfectionist so when I am quilting freehand--I like to have my total concentration on my quilting. I feel I owe it to my customers to give them the best quilting I can--as they are paying me for that expectation. (And I want my customers repeat business in the future).
Old 06-18-2011, 04:48 AM

Innova 18" with stitch regulator and a 12' frame-we love it
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 AM

Anyone out there with a APQS Lucey? I tried one at the MN Quilt Show last week and I loved it. I am dreaming of upgrading to a 26" throat so I was trying out all the machines--but I am also on a budget so I have to keep that in mind. I am now dreaming about upgrading to Lucey after I pay off the one I have now. I hope the quilts keep coming in so I can pay off the machine I have and upgrade to the longer throat! I got a really good price on my Tin Lizzie so I will also be selling it at a really good price so someone will be able to get a (almost new machine) for a very good price when I sell it. I would love to find a used Lucey for a good price but seems most people who have APQS have the Millinium or Freedom that have more bells and whistles. I personally liked the feel fo the Lucey when I tried them all out. Would love to hear from anyone who has a Lucey. (PM me with comments if you are a Lucey owner)..... Thanks.