Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Its always something... I used to have my own play money
when I worked for Husqvarna Viking. I broke my right ankle last July and lost my job, after it was all healed Dh asked me not to go back to work as it put us into a higher tax bracket.
Now when I see a machine I want, I just have to walk away.(big sigh)
The local Pfaff dealer collects Pfaff treadles, wow talk about eye candy! I was perusing ebay Germany and saw quite a few more modern machines that were treadles. The shipping costs would be way out of my price range.
Sharon W.
Geeze Sharon, even though the money raises your tax bracket it would seem to me you are still coming out ahead when you are bringing more money in? Anyway, I would love to see that collection of Pfaff treadles! I know they are out there, but it is not common to see the Pfaff treadles. I have never seen one in person, but if I ever find one locally - and I won't have to loose my ranch to buy it - I would buy that one for sure!

Nancy
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

No they do not.

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Another quick question - do the Featherweight and the 201 use the same bobbins?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
DH was on a roll this weekend and brought home two new machines yesterday, a Feather weight and a singer 201-2 in cabinet.

He is the one collecting and fixing the machines and cabinets and has taken a real fancy to the little Feather Weight. He ahs bought multiple ones and is now fixing and selling off some for fun.

The Singer 201-2 he bought for me, but now it is here and he has sewn on it, DH is also smitten. I have been looking for the Singer 201-2 for some time and I am very excited about finding one. There is a little damage on the outside of the machine but it looks like it was barely used and it runs wonderful eventhough DH has not cleaned or oiled it yet.
Annaquilts, congratulations on your new 201-2 and the FW! Nancy
Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 AM

I've posted a couple of questions about the Singer 201, and someone suggested that I should be asking here. So in case you haven't seen my other threads:
Any dates/model that are particularly good/ to be avoided? I've worked out that many of those available in the UK are the 201-3, with a drive belt rather than a potted motor (had never heard that term till yesterday - am learning fast!) . What about the 1960s brown one - is that as good as the older ones?
I want a machine that I can use for free motion quilting, as my expensive modern one is *!*! at it. Have people used the 201 for FMQ? I understand that a disadvantage is that the bobbins are small, but the 301 was apparently not sold in Europe, so I don't have that alternative, and there don't seem to be as many 15s around.
The drive belt on the one I'm looking at doesn't look great. Is replacing it a straightforward job?
Many thanks!
Annesthreads, it is too bad you can't find a Model 15. I think the Model 15's or the Model 15 clones do the best at FWQting. I don't have a 201 so I really can't judge that machine, but as you probably know Singer always advertised the 201 machine as the 'finest Singer ever made.' It seems the consensus on here is that the 201 is a great piecing, sewing machine, but the 15's are superior at FMQting. I do a lot of free motion on my 15 and it works wonderfully.

Are just talking about just replacing the belt? That is an easy thing to do.
Nancy
Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 AM

I've posted a couple of questions about the Singer 201, and someone suggested that I should be asking here. So in case you haven't seen my other threads:
Any dates/model that are particularly good/ to be avoided? I've worked out that many of those available in the UK are the 201-3, with a drive belt rather than a potted motor (had never heard that term till yesterday - am learning fast!) . What about the 1960s brown one - is that as good as the older ones?
I want a machine that I can use for free motion quilting, as my expensive modern one is *!*! at it. Have people used the 201 for FMQ? I understand that a disadvantage is that the bobbins are small, but the 301 was apparently not sold in Europe, so I don't have that alternative, and there don't seem to be as many 15s around.
The drive belt on the one I'm looking at doesn't look great. Is replacing it a straightforward job?
Many thanks!
You want to free motion with your vintage Singer then I suggest to look for a 15-90/91. If your quilting is piecing and straight stitch quilting than your 201 will work wonderfully for ya.

I don't have a 301, so I cant answer that.

congrats on your 201.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Its always something... I used to have my own play money
when I worked for Husqvarna Viking. I broke my right ankle last July and lost my job, after it was all healed Dh asked me not to go back to work as it put us into a higher tax bracket.
Now when I see a machine I want, I just have to walk away.(big sigh)
The local Pfaff dealer collects Pfaff treadles, wow talk about eye candy! I was perusing ebay Germany and saw quite a few more modern machines that were treadles. The shipping costs would be way out of my price range.
Sharon W.
Geeze Sharon, even though the money raises your tax bracket it would seem to me you are still coming out ahead when you are bringing more money in? Anyway, I would love to see that collection of Pfaff treadles! I know they are out there, but it is not common to see the Pfaff treadles. I have never seen one in person, but if I ever find one locally - and I won't have to loose my ranch to buy it - I would buy that one for sure!

Nancy
Hi Sharon , I still fill in when needed at Viking and I'm a happy camper..I'm going back to work for a couple of weeks. I gave up my hours so that another could keep her health insurance. The manager is going on a 2 week vacation and I'm just tickled!!! Anne
Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

[/quote]

Annaquilts, congratulations on your new 201-2 and the FW! Nancy[/quote]

Thanks Nancy. It is the first vacation day today for my children, after decluttering a bedroom, I think it is time to sew.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I just got a Singer 201-2 (direct drive) so I have not sewn or quilted on it yet. DH researched it and said that the Singer 15-91 (also direct drive) would be better for quilting because it can handle thicker thread then the Singer 201. I have heard the Singer 201-2 because it is a direct drive is better for quilting but I am sure one with a belt would work too. The singer 201 has a larger space under the arm then a Singer 15 so I would think that with larger quilts would be a definite plus.

We also have a Singer 201 that has a belt. It was made in England. DH took the motor off because it did not work and put it in my threadle base.We also I would think the Singer 201 or 15 would be a better option for quilting as there is more space under the arm and the machines are much heavier.
Thanks for all the information, Anna - really helpful. I'm in the UK and I understand that the belt-driven 201s are more common here.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Annesthreads, it is too bad you can't find a Model 15. I think the Model 15's or the Model 15 clones do the best at FWQting. I don't have a 201 so I really can't judge that machine, but as you probably know Singer always advertised the 201 machine as the 'finest Singer ever made.' It seems the consensus on here is that the 201 is a great piecing, sewing machine, but the 15's are superior at FMQting. I do a lot of free motion on my 15 and it works wonderfully.

Are just talking about just replacing the belt? That is an easy thing to do.
Nancy
Thanks Nancy. I've seen one or 2 15s advertised, but far more 201s. I may get the 201, see how I go and maybe keep looking for a 15
Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 AM

Any interested in refurbishing a black 301A? Three hours left on this one. I'd tell the seller to pitch the case and pack the machine carefully. My 301 shipped very well. The black one even has a buttonholer. Currently $31 with shipping at $15.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Singer-S...item1e63e1249e

Okay, time to get off ebay. I just found a good looking 201 for $168 with no shipping. I'm out of here.