Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extreemely dry hands >

Extreemely dry hands

Extreemely dry hands

Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 AM

WOW! Did not imagine such a rapid and huge response. I will start with drinking more water. Notice theat on weekends when not at work where I'm constanctly drinking, my hands are worse. So that's part one. Part two. Will try the glycerin. Inexpensive and don't have to worry about reactions. Will bookmark this section to check on other products after I get this under control. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I use "Aloe Vera" lotions, etc. from The Body Shop. Very little smell, and their products work great! I have been a fan of theirs for years! (am not associated with them)
I also use coconut oil, especially at night.
Hope you find relief soon! :)
Old 05-31-2011, 06:53 AM

The best thing to use is 100% Shea butter. You can go online and find small companies selling it. Actually, most of those companies are black women owned, they import the shea nut, it's a HUGE, bigger than a basketball, nut from Africa and then they divide it into small containers and sell it that way. You can get either refined or not, refined will just be a little whiter. It's what my girlfriends and I use for our heels, it does an amazing job. My sister is a nurse and her hands were cracked really bad from all the washing, I sent her this, found someone selling it at a craft show, she has spent big bucks on other creams and this cured her, now she's a convert for life. It must be 100% though.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 AM

My hand are always dry in the winter and I use Neutrogena hand cream . It is fragrance-free and works for me.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM

I too use Eucerin creme. There is a lotion, but it is not the same. The generic from Walmart works wonders. Had sebhorrea on my face in HS. Prescribed Eucerin. Cleared up! Best for sunburn and dry itchy skin. Four years later met my new husbands aunt that worked for a dermotologist. She said they always prescribe Eucerin for these conditions. I still after 30 years use it to clean off makeup and then a thin layer after washing. Best moisturizer around. I never have the dry itchy red face anymore. Always use it on my hands before sewing. Does not mess up fabric as it is a creme and you rub into into your hands. No odor, no greasiness. After washing my hands, and after using cleaners, I use the Eucerin and my hands are soft again. Helped my grandson with his excema too. I put it on before bed in winter and then a pair of socks. Softer feet in the morning! My husband too has bouts of excema and will only use Eucerin. He doesn't need anything else as it controls the redness and dry itchies.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 AM

It sounds like you have a form of eczema called chronic hand dermatitis.
I order "Aveeno Advanced Care Cream" from drugstore.com - it must say Advanced Care or it doesn't have the necessary ceramides. It isn't available
in my local pharmacies - they only carry the regular Aveeno moisturizing lotion.Using this in the AM and the PM with gloves I heal fairly well and can abandon the bandaids.
It may not be the sewing that is irritating your hands. I had to change to
Green Mountain Soap for my shampoo before I really healed. You might need
to see a good dermatologist for advice. I assume you use gloves for dish
washing, etc.
Good luck - Judy
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 AM

Did you know that you can close the cracks in your finger tips with crazy glue. Stops the pain instantly and protects the crack while..... it heals. My horse vet told me about this years ago and I have done it since. You need to be careful with the glue so you don't glue your fingers together - lol.....ask me how I know.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 AM

Neutrogena hand cream - used by Norwegian fisherman. Miracle in a tube, available at any drugstore.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:21 AM

Burts Bees makes a hand cream - It feels so good on dry hands and it doesn't take much. Don't remember the cost, and it will last for quite awhile.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 AM

I have seen lotions in LQS but haven't asked about them. If you have a LQS near you, maybe you could check there.