Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Teaching job in the Carolinas >

Teaching job in the Carolinas

Teaching job in the Carolinas

Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 AM

welcome from se TX
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 AM

It will be difficult for him since his major is history and that degree is quite common. Can he get an additional certification in math, science or special education without too much trouble? Men are desired in elementary education as well. That would improve his chances. Also coaching and sports medicine experience/certifications would help. The very best advice I can give to anyone trying to secure a teaching position anywhere is to get bus driver certified in the state you are applying in. On paper, he's just another name but principals always need a handy fill in bus driver so that would be the candidate he/she calls ahead of others applying.
I loved working in the small county system of Lincoln (PO Box 400, Lincolnton, NC 28093) and it's a great little system but, if he doesn't LOVE kids, they don't want him. We didn't pull in the big bucks like Charlotte-Meck but COL wasn't as high there either. It's located on the western shores of Lake Norman, northeast and easily accessible to metro Charlotte, Gastonia and Hickory.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 AM

Welcome from WV. Hope your son has good luck and finds a great position, but he may not be finding it where he wants to go.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:43 AM

I am from SC and live here. Getting a teaching position is like most places not always easy. I would suggest for your son to start out sub-teaching at schools or doing some volunteer work. This way the faculty will get to know him and he will have a better chance of a job.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 AM

It is called crictial needs areas. Try the SC or NC dep of education on the WEB. He may have to go to a very rural area to start with for a few years, then move up. My oldest did that and now 11 yrs later he teachs at the Academic Magnet High School in Charleston,SC. tell him to do it now, not in the fall. Teaching jobs are hard to find in some areas.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by laurafet
Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Well, we're in NC and hubby teaches for Wake County, which is one of the bigger districts, and consequently better paying. Thing is, they're going through a situation where they're trying to retain current teachers, and not fire but not refill empty positions (in non-teaching areas).
We've been here 4 years (maybe 5?) and hubby is on the tail-end of folks that never got pink slipped over the years. There has also been a pay freeze for 3 years, including raises AND cost of living. One year they even TOOK AWAY the raise after it was given, in two paychecks.

I wouldn't suggest Mecklenburg county. They are making severe cuts to teachers and staff. They are $100 Million short on their budget.

Soooo...not to sound like negative nancy, the economy is tough everywhere, don't think it's all sunshine and sandy beaches here!
Also in Wake County. State budget discussions right now are not making any of the counties feel comfortable. Mecklenburg, Guilford, Wake, Orange are the highest paying, but it depends on what the need is. Most of the counties have websites with openings listed. Tell him to check all 100.

I wouldn't suggest Mecklenburg county. They are making severe cuts to teachers and staff. They are $100 Million short on their budget.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM

I have family in Rock Hill, SC and they have just built another new HS. Very beautiful area! Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

welcome!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 AM

I have a daughter who is teaching history in Charlotte. Her school is a Title 9 school and she has been there 4 years. She is quitting this year because there is no discipline in the schools and the administration is so bad. She said the state has passed a law that there can be 40 kids in a classroom. Way to many in her situation.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:50 AM

Welcome. Would he consider coming to Virginia. Danville is on the border as well as some other counties. Wish him the best in finding the right position for him.