Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift? >

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Are you offended if someone doesn't display your gift?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I was offended only once. I knitted two baby blankets for my ex-brother-in-laws wife. She opened it, my ex-husband said immediately "Sue made those", and she pulled them out, looked at them breifly, and said .... wait for it ....

"what? no money?"

Needless to say I never did like the bitc ... person.
wonderful!!
Sounds like my MIL, NOW NO LONGER!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 PM

I've been disappointed too but on the up side I was pleasantly surprised when one of my neices said how much she loved the quilt I made for her baby as he keeps raising his head to look at the bright colors. She also said the quilt was so handy in the car and at home. Her mom, my sister, also surprised me as I thought she had a low opinion of sewing but she admired some of my work and said I have Hands of Gold. So all you Hands of Gold quilters out there cheer up someday someone will make comment about your quilts that makes it all worth while.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom
I made a machine embroidered and appliqued baby quilt for a niece. It was a lot of time and details. When she opened it she barely pulled it out of the gift bag and said oh a blanket and stuck it back in the bag. I felt like going and taking it back. Her sister later went and got it out of the bag and properly admired it. I gave my parents a queen sized quilt they absolutely loved it. It is on their bed and they often tell me how much they like it. Their friends thought they should put it away and save it. They are in their 80"s
I haven't made much to give away. New to the quilting thing but do love it. I have 1 ready to go to a LAQ and another one almost ready. I did however make a quilt for my cousin and his wife for their new baby. The young lady had soooo many things at the shower that she never even unfolded either of the 2 quilts that she was given. I worked for hours and hours on that quilt. I just loved it! It did make me really sad. I put a label on the back with my name on it that JaJudd made for me-cutest label!! Well, my Aunt and other cousins and older ladies got it and were admiring it while the young lady continued opening up the other gifts. That made me feel good. That quilt was super soft.

I think people have no clue how much time, effort, and money goes into a quilt that someone makes. It's not like the Wal-Mart special that you get on clearance for $7.99!

It is sad and until you start doing it yourself you have no clue.

Our lil girl has an afgan that a lady from our church made her. It's such a big one! It's so pretty. She sleeps with it sometimes. I know it had to have taken her such a long time. She's in Heaven now but I'm glad we have that pretty afgan to remember what a sweet lady she was.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 PM

I only give things that I make to people that I know will want them. I learned my lesson and hey, its much easier to just give them a gift card if this is what they really want anyway.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM

I have given my neighbors all the same gift one Christmas, it was a wreath I had made. I saw one of them at the local goodwill right after.....what a kick in the gut. I thought they were so cute...I have since learned not to give something that they may not have my same taste. Then I try to think it's the thought that counts I guess. Food is always a hit. :)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:53 PM

I just cannot imagine not loving a quilt that someone made for me! Seriously! Maybe its because I have had quilts that my Granny and my Mamaw made for me years ago that I just love. They are worn and just falling apart.

So....if anyone here wants to make a quilt and send it to my house-let me tell you WE LOVE QUILTS! Logan (our 7 year old ask me the other day about a quilt that I had put on his bed when it was cold. He said Mom was that quilt Mamaw Katies or is it ours? I let him know that it was ours and he could use it any time he wanted to. :) He really liked it.

Our 3 year old daughter goes around telling everyone about the quilt that my Granny made for me that she uses sometimes. She also tells them that my Granny died when I was Lucas' age. (Lucas is our oldest son-he's 13).

I always tell her-you can't pull on the material it's really old and as long as you are nice to it you can sleep with it sometimes. She'll say I want to sleep with your "Ganny's kilt". ;)
Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by fatquarters
I once made a christmas wall hanging for my DB and SIL, as I was wrapping I decided to add chocolates, then on a whim just wrapped the chocolates in the wall hanging, wrapped ribbon around and it looked nice with no paper I thought. They undid the ribbon, unwrapped the chocolates, thanked me and threw the wallhanging in the garbage with all the paper.

next time they just get chocolates LOL
Really??!!?? THAT is horrible. No more chocolates either!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM

A couple of years ago, some co-workers were discussing the pros and cons of receiving home-made gifts. One woman insisted that people who make gifts do it for themselves, rather than for the giftee. In a way, I suppose she's right. I enjoy making gifts, whether it's a quilt, wall hanging or aprons. I try to make gifts for people I know will appreciate the gift, but I have to admit that I've made gifts for people who, for all I know, might prefer something store bought.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM

It's so difficult because I put so much of myself into whatever I make, and if it's ignored or discarded or not oooh'd and aaah'd over enough by someone I would expect to do that (like my mom, for example), then yes, my feelings will be hurt, and (as inspired by the soup nazi) No Quilt For You!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:13 PM

I wish we had a "Like" or "Agree" button here because I agree with so many of these posts or agree with the sentiments!