Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Paper Pieced Candlequilter Star >

My Paper Pieced Candlequilter Star

My Paper Pieced Candlequilter Star

Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by verna2197
Help I am having trouble doing mine. Where do I start? I have done pp before but nothing like this one. To me this one is confusing. Even have my SIL working on it to see if she can figure it out.

Thanks
Vernas2197
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only only one that is struggling with this... grrrrr its starting to get the best of me i'm sorry to say...
Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Whew.....one more section done!!....only two more to go. I vow I will have the whole block done by tomorrow. C9P
Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by JLMiller

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only only one that is struggling with this... grrrrr its starting to get the best of me i'm sorry to say...
Don't give up. Paper piecing is like learning to ride a bike or learning to ski. Once mastered (after a fair number of bruises), you will be flying with and in the stars.

tim in san jose
Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
Originally Posted by JLMiller

Don't give up. Paper piecing is like learning to ride a bike or learning to ski. Once mastered (after a fair number of bruises), you will be flying with and in the stars.

tim in san jose
LMBO, I gave up learning to downhill ski after I fell at the top of the bunny rope pull and caused all the poor little bunnys to fall into a giant heap on top of me. And yes I was an adult at the time. :oops:
And as for riding a bike, well, suffice to say someone was still holding on to the back of mine when I was 12. LOLOL
Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dotski
okay mine is done hope i can post the pic.
I love the block. The fabrics that you chose are great. Good job!

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM

Mine's finally done!! I'm going up to mail it, and then I'll come back, and post a photo. For those of you who haven't started yet, next time I would choose FOUR colours of different value (my trying to stick to red, white and blue was not a good idea). I ended up having to do some machine embroidery around the points to delineate the points of the star so they don't get lost. And that's one of the areas I had lots of trouble. The machine embroidery stitch I chose was one of those "2 forward, 2 back" stitches, which I thought would make the line show up better, but it was difficult at the point of the star, and ripping that kind of stitch out is not easy.

Also, when you PP the second colour on the second smaller piece of each section, I had trouble visualizing how to cut the piece of fabric to use for the diagonal seam you have to do. Near the end, I realized that by NOT cutting the piece of fabric ahead of time ie. using the whole big piece of cloth when I sew it on was the best way, and then cutting it later. (Sounds weird, but it worked for me). Anyway - it's on its way!!! Thanks Candlequilter for the opportunity to stretch, grow, and learn!!!!! C9P
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-204826.jpe
Views:	216
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	204832  
Old 05-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Beautiful pattern and colour choices. The dark fabric really gives the quilt a sense of motion...love it! Great design job!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:44 PM

I think I finally figured out part of it but I do not like it and am not too sure about this pp. Have done this before but this one for some reason is getting the best of me, Hmmm think maybe cause I have been sick and don't really feel like quilting?

Verna2197
Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by verna2197
I think I finally figured out part of it but I do not like it and am not too sure about this pp. Have done this before but this one for some reason is getting the best of me, Hmmm think maybe cause I have been sick and don't really feel like quilting?

Verna2197
I'm with you Verna, I hate to give up and give in to such a challenge, but I think the fibro fog has won this battle. I can't stand wasting so much fabric and paper and thread. I am not enjoying this at all, and the stress is very bad for my fibromyalgia. I am really sorry to disappoint myself and Candlequilter but I know when it's time to throw in the towel and this is it. I just spent 3 hours working at it and didn't even get one section done. I ripped till the fabric was ruined and had to cut more. Then I started ripping that. LOL... Those little stitches are real buggers to get out. Then the paper comes apart and I have to make more copies.
I could have made a whole top in the time I have spent trying to do this, and I don't even have half a block to show for it yet.
Candlequilter, I love your star and am so sorry I can't do this for you. I would have loved to be a part of your quilt. I'll just have to donate in other ways as I have been doing.
Hugs and smiles and great jobs to all of you who have done the block, I'm so proud of you!! I eagerly await seeing the finished quilt. I know it will be lovely!!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:18 PM

I am so with you, just can't stand the frustration of this block right now. I too am sorry I am unable to do it, but as of this time my health can't take the frustration.

Verna2197