Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by cctx.
Originally Posted by charismah
I think I want to go into denial. I don't want to keep track. :shock:
Lol......I agree with your comment.
I will accept denial myself.
Waving wildly......"me too, me too!"
Old 05-31-2011, 07:52 PM

Just did a queen size T-shirt quilt. With materials: Shashing, boarders, backing fabric,and Batting and thread. $192.00. A little over 81 hours labor. As it was for one of my Schoolbus Students, I didn't charge as I would for a regular customer.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:39 PM

All of the full and queen sized quilts I make are easily over $100 in materials alone. It is possible to do a large quilt for about $60 with fabric from Mill end Textiles (60% off coupon sometimes makes it $2 a yard). Add the poly batting and thread to sew and quilt. Expensive hobby which is why I think it's wonderful that some of you gals donate these expensive labors of love to charities!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM

Problem is, most of my fabric I bought years ago, when prices were way different.

I wouldn't know how to value my stash- what I paid for it, or what replacement material would be.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM

That is so cute and really the best reward.
Originally Posted by justflyingin
As a Quilter, the cost is not a concern to me BUT it is finding the right HOME for it that concerns me!!!!!
I don't want to go and see it under a car!!!!, Puppies being born on it!!! or in a closet!!!!![lol lol heard it here]
I want to know it will be loved and used on the bed where it should be.... That is my priceless moment!!!
but that is just me......
----
I'll echo that!
Factoring in the true costs in material, supplies, and labour, is nothing in compared to that priceless moment!!!!!!
Do you mean like this? I gave three away to a lady today who seemed so happy to get them. Her daughter was quite happy to get some kitties since her dad doesn't want cats in the house!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 AM

I have a certified quilt appraiser put a fair market price on mine.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
my last quilt of pre cut blocks was 264, 42.50 batting, 10 yards at 11.50 laq 165. no wonder my bunnie says slow down lol....but my family loves it and says its the best yet to come down the pike
And how many hours did it take of your time?
Wow! So many questions: who wants to spend that much time to think about the cost of them all? Perhaps it would be simpler to just have each quilt appraised before we give them away, in case each recipent wants to know how much to insure the quilts for in case of loss .... methinks we do not care how much $$ each cost, unless perhaps the tax man cometh.... ;-)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 PM

My sister just bought the supplies needed to make a queen size t-shirt quilt and spent ~$125 using lots of coupon.

I make a lot of quilts for QFK's and our group has been very fortunate to inherit several people's stash after they've passed on. So I only have to buy fabric for the QOV's, I try to find sales and use coupons and try to stock up when the patriotic fabrics are a good price.

I find people who are selling their stashes for
Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 AM

Anyone want to comment with an estimate of how much you spend (not counting your labor) for various sizes of quilts you've made in 2010 or 2011?
In the other thread with this title, we discussed the cost of making a quilt, but no one answered this question--that I noticed.

What are you all really spending on a quilt? Can some of you share what you are spending..and if you pull the fabric from your stash, it doesn't count as "free"--it counts at the price that you paid for the yardage--unless it is truly a scrap quilt of from your used clothing that you were going to throw away.

I think it might be an interesting experiment if some of us would actually keep track of 1. money spent/invested, and 2. hours spent on some of our quilts this year and then compile the information.

Does anyone have this information from your own data...and once again, unless someone else GAVE you the fabric saying that fabric from your stash is "free" isn't playing fair--it's what you paid for the fabric when you put it there--not market value now. :)

It would be an interesting study.
I usually spend about $50 on fabric for the top then another$30 for the back unless I do a scrappy back out of left overs. That is for a single bed size. Some times I spend up to $250 for the whole quilt only to give it away. I have to be careful of what I spend these days. There are a group who comes to my quilt group who have cheap prices for top quality and I spend up to $100 for all that I think I will need in the next few months. I buy fabrics at times and built up a theme until I have enough to do the quilt.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:29 AM

Yes the smiles are the best rewards. Priceless