Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Downsize your Magazines >

How to Downsize your Magazines

How to Downsize your Magazines

Old 05-31-2011, 07:00 AM

My scanner has a page feeder and on many things I can use this. Magazine pages don't work to well on it, so I scan each one of them individually. I save the scan in Microsoft Word and then convert it into a PDF file so I can keep it on both my computer and my iPad 2.

quote]Can you share what scanner you use if it's a sheet-fed type, multiple pages at a time? Also what software do you use to organize, or is it part of the scanner? When they get around to making it easy for us to convert it all to digital & carry it around on something like a kindle, I'm in.[/quote]
Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
I keep thinking about it, but I am afraid that I will throw something away and then later will decide it was something that I should have kept.
Me too. Tastes change and sometimes I need something for somebody that doesn't have the same taste I do. I have a wicker basket of quilt magazines and when it over flows I go ahead and weed out magazines that are older and usually don't have anything I am really crazy about. I pass them on to quilting friends. I mark the quilt patterns I like with those little colored tabs so I don't throw away something I really like.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:24 AM

I have been saving patterns for several years, also recipes, health information,jewelry instructions, politics, church, health hazards, etc. I have lots of notebooks. The only problem is getting everything put in the notebooks before they become a hazard or my cat gets to them before me. He likes to eat paper.

sueinbarre
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM

My younger shih tzu just "modified" the condition of a recipe I had cut from the newspaper. I have to be on my toes or he eats paper! Yes, I would believe the phrase about the dog eating the child's homework:)
Old 05-31-2011, 01:37 PM

I just went through my several years of accumultion of quilting/sewing magazines. I'm keeping a few, maybe taking a page from bebe's book (no pun intended) and the rest are destined to a family-owned thrift store, along with my over abundance of cooking magazines! I let most of my subscriptions lapse cause I wasn't even getting around to reading the things, much less using them.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM

I did almost the same. Except I made color copys of the Patterns, Left Magazine in-tact. Then put Magazines away in closet. In 6mo or so ,I can reread Magazines and may find a pattern that interests me then , but not now. I put copys in sleeves and Notbooks also.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 AM

OMG! that's what I do too!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 AM

I have quite a few magazines myself. One of these days (whenever time permits), I will organize them better. I do like your idea with the binders and protective sheets. I do that now with my favourite recipes. I collect recipes like there is no tomorrow. All the magazine cutouts, internet printouts, stuff that come in the mail, etc, are at the moment stashed in brown envelopes with categories of beef, chicken, dessert, fish, vegetables, etc. Back in February I started scrapbooking my favourites into individual themed binders. Perhaps I can do the same with my quilt magazines, except not scrapbook them LOL
Old 06-02-2011, 03:47 AM

For some who just want to put their magazines in binders (perhaps if they could be stored like a library @ a guild), these little clips with 3-rings might be helpful:
http://www.shoplet.com/Rubbermaid-3-..._sku=RUBT02802
They are $3.24 for set of 12. This place ships free over $45, so if you need printer ink, that would probably do it;)

Just the Plastic clip shown on the left side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205417[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-205411.png
Views:	18
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	205417  
Old 06-02-2011, 03:53 PM

another good idea cabin fever :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: