Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELPPPPPPPPPP!!! >

HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM

This is what I've used also - made a huge difference once I had this on the machine base.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Don't use the quilting foot. Use the darning foot. You are controling the quilt's movement, not the foot on the machine.

Regarding gloves..instead of buying "quilting gloves" I use rubber gloves. You can buy boxes of them inexpensively..either the type similiar to those used in medical offices..the clear ones, or the loose deli type plastic gloves.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
i've heard a bunch of people reccommend the gloves. They made my hands too hot and sweaty. I just got the little rubber finger things you wear on the tips of your fingers and they work great for me. You can also just cut the fingertips off of a pair of rubber kitchen gloves. Just a couple of suggestions. Hope it helps. Much cheaper than the gloves and more comfy. IMHO
Also, much cheaper is a pair of gardening gloves from Lowes or Home Depot. They have the little rubber bumps on them for gripping the fabric.
those are called 'finger cots'
I also saw some that were a leather on http://jhittlesewing.com
Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 AM

Thanks for that TIP on fast foot pedal and slow movement of the fabric. I THINK YOU GAVE ME THE BIGGEST TIP TO HELP ME ON MY MACHINE QUILTING, which I am just LEARNING. Thanks for that tid-bit!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 AM

If money is a consideration you can use those gardening gloves that have the rubber on the fingers instead of buying the quilting gloves.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by luv2so
Thank you! I've been looking at all the beautiful things eveyone makes and decided to try it. Trust me, nothing like all of you make, just a small Christmas wallhanging.

Can I find the gloves at Hancocks or JoAnn's?
Diana
haven't read all the posts yet - but i get gardening gloves at the dollar store. the ones with rubberized palms - works for me. costs 1-2 dollars
Old 05-31-2011, 01:08 PM

I'm in the minority. I don't like gloves. I think it's cuz' my hands sweat a lot and then they just slide around inside the gloves. I really like the quilt halo.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 PM

Put your "pedal to the medal" as they put it! The faster you go the better your stitching comes out. And then practice, practice, practice!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM

I found a "Silacone" spray at Hancock Fabrics. You sray it on a soft cloth and polish your sewing machine bed,around your throat plate. Buff until it is very slippery. Try this. Hope this is a help. And be sure to where gloves. I also use those cheap garden gloves with the rubber fingers. 2 or 3 $$ a piece, and they wash up grreat.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 AM

I did not read all the coments, are you using a walking foot? or what kind of quilting foot are you using?