Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's missing in your stash? >

What's missing in your stash?

What's missing in your stash?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 AM

When I started using the Quitville scrappy method by cutting strips I realized I don't have many lights. Tons of stripes,stars & solids but not very many lights at all. Oh boy now I need to go to QS!!! yeah
Old 06-01-2011, 11:14 AM

I am the opposite. I have way too many tone on tone, blenders, solids and not enough interesting fabrics.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 AM

I'm missing neutrals and lights....
Old 06-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by pjemark
I have realized that what I am missing are solids and small tone on tones. I just came to this realization yesterday when I decided that I was going to try and make a quilt entirely from stash. I have a lot of stash- not as much as many of you but enough- so I thought - why don't I have solids and tone on tones? And I concluded that it's because "they aren't fun to buy". So, I'm going to force myself to concentrate on adding these items to my stash. What about you?
yep I don't have those either but what I'm missing the most of is ideas. LOL
I have a huge stash but I'm very lacking on the ideas part of using them. Most of my quilts are what you might call "planned quilts". I don't think I have ever made a scrappy one but it's high time I learned how, right? I have pre-cut a bunch of batting so I can try and do a quilt as you go scrappy but they have been sitting there for 6 months because it scares me to get started on a quilt with no idea of what it's going to look like. I know I need to just start.
Anyone have an idea on how I should just get started on this thing?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:47 PM

I suppose there's a lot of things missing in my stash. Here's what I have in each of the little piles I got

*Blacks, whites, white on blacks, black on whites
*Reds or pinks
*Moda Marbles for my Zelda Project
*Greens for some sort of quilt I'll be making for my boyfriend further down the line
*Purples for a cathedral quilt I want to make for myself
*Misc. fabrics (some blues I really liked and some fabric for a Packer quilt)
*Kittie shirts for a t-shirt quilt (Kittie is a metal band)

I have 75 different fabrics so far (not including the shrits) and most of them are quarter yards.

What's missing are fabrics to balance out the greens in my boyfriend's eventual quilt (thinking log cabin so maybe whites and creams?) Definatly need black for the background fabric of my cathedral quilt. Need more fabrics for my Zelda project including background fabrics for each wallhanging. I want to get this book on Japanese blocks and want to make every block in the book so maybe some Asian fabrics, too.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM

I found the same thing missing. solids.
when I find myself buying fabric just to appease my addiction, I try to go with a different theme now with each purchase. I also make myself include one or two solids that match my "just gotta have" fabric that I buy.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM

I love the fusions range for "blenders" and am slowly building up a home collection of them.
As I also make charity quilts for kids I am slowly building up a collection of solids from the homespun ranges for these as well.

On the whole I tend to buy what I need for a project. Will buy a fabric I like if it is cheap enough (with nothing in mind for its use) although have to admit I probably don't buy enough of it so it may not be as cost effective as desired.

Sad to say though at the moment I have a couple of quilts on the go for gifts and being bed size rather than the usual lap sized quilt that I usually make they are proving to be a bit expensive so not much going on in the stash building area :lol: Wish we had coupons like you do over there :( would make it easier.

Maybe1day
Old 06-01-2011, 03:42 PM

Like the rest of most people, solids but red in particular. I do need some reds. Sometimes red is just the color to contrast with the others your using.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 PM

fabric, no real stash as of yet
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM

I'm with you. I find that I don't have any solids when I need them. So I have decided to just buy a bunch of various colors so I have them when I need them.