Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's missing in your stash? >

What's missing in your stash?

What's missing in your stash?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 PM

I found myself in the exact situation last week! I find it hard to buy solid fabrics,so I cheat and get very tiny patterns that are in the color I need but still have a personality.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 PM

I found myself in the exact situation last week! I find it hard to buy solid fabrics,so I cheat and get very tiny patterns that are in the color I need but still have a personality.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by pjemark
I have realized that what I am missing are solids and small tone on tones. I just came to this realization yesterday when I decided that I was going to try and make a quilt entirely from stash. I have a lot of stash- not as much as many of you but enough- so I thought - why don't I have solids and tone on tones? And I concluded that it's because "they aren't fun to buy". So, I'm going to force myself to concentrate on adding these items to my stash. What about you?
I know how you feel. That sounds like my stash, too. I'm trying to buy a little at a time but $$$ keeps me from getting more. :cry: :cry:
Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 PM

I don't ever buy solids because there are always pretty florals that I think I have to have.

Deby
Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 PM

There is a serious shortage of solids, tone on tones and blender type of fabrics in my stash. I do have some batiks that I use for that purpose. I have promised myself to purchase some basics. There are just way too many colorful fabrics that draw my attention.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 AM

I, too had a shortage of solids. My solution was to pick the solids I use most. Red, blue, and green in dark and light shades, at least 3 yards of each. Wal-Mart has the best buy I can find for solids. I also look for solids at thrift stores. If I can't find yardage, I look through clothing for like new garments and adapt them to what ever I'm makinhg.

I have realized that what I am missing are solids and small tone on tones. I just came to this realization yesterday when I decided that I was going to try and make a quilt entirely from stash. I have a lot of stash- not as much as many of you but enough- so I thought - why don't I have solids and tone on tones? And I concluded that it's because "they aren't fun to buy". So, I'm going to force myself to concentrate on adding these items to my stash. What about you?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM

Stash? whats missing from my stash IS the stash. I have some assorted fat quarters and a couple charm packs and that is it. Money is the culprit. Never enough.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Matching, smatching! I'm a scrap quilter so any color goes with everything! I've only been quilting for seven years, but have amassed quite a stash by my standards, and have tried to add something of everything no matter if it's a FQ, or a yard. A good friend Quilter of mine always said you don't ever have enough golds in your stash...so I've even got a few shades of gold. I did just buy a couple of yards of Kona white to try it out. I have been using a higher grade of muslin, but wanted to try the Kona.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Yes, that can be a problem. I am making Lori Smith's Sampler block pattern which is 83 totally different 7-1/2" blocks on point. Definitely a challenge. I had to buy light, medium, and some dark tone on tones.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM

I want to do a block or two of the uneven floral log cabin. I don't have florals. Not small ones for a log cabin anyway!