Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing a king sized quilt top >

Ironing a king sized quilt top

Ironing a king sized quilt top

Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by AZTeri
Well, I ended up putting towels on the kitchen table, butting the ironing board up against it and did it piece meal until I got it finished, loosely folding it as I went. As far as the backing, I folded it in half (it's wide!) pressed, turned, folded, pressed and turned again! It's not perfectly ironed, but it will work. Tomorrow, I get to clear the furniture out of the living room, tape the back down? or do I tape the front down? Can anybody tell me if it matters which is taped down? I'm using basting spray, but will probably add some pins here and there also.

This is the first, last and ONLY time I'm making a king sized quilt!
It matters. Tape the back down, tautly but not stretched. If you are using basting spray, make sure you have plenty of ventilation and newspaper, old sheets or something around the edges to collect any stray spray. Pin around the edges. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:40 AM

Pressing the seams as you go should help - makes touching up at the end a lot easier.
I usually fold my backing into quarters and press that way.
I have a couple of old blankets that I spread on my large cutting table. My ironing board woudl NEVER work.
Good luck.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:48 AM

I use a 4x6 portable table and let the ironed part lay on the table
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 AM

I made an ironing board 2' x 4' that covers my folding table. While not perfect for a king size, it is certainly better than a standard ironing board.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 AM

Just finished sewing the binding on a huge king size black and white....now to all that hand sewing! I think they should outlaw king size beds! Was like quilting a tent! It sure is beautiful though!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 AM

;) I just did one not fun
Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 AM

I have a table with adjustable legs that I purchased at sam's club. I open the table along side my ironing board and drape the fabric over both and then slide the material.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 AM

I have a wide ironing board, but I picked up a regular board at a garage sale for a dollar. I put them both together. It helps keep a lot off the floor after it is ironed.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

This is where it's really helpful if you have pressed each block very carefully as you made it, and pressed each seam joining blocks also. Then there should be no additional pressing to do.

As for the back, I discovered recently that you can mist the back after it has been loaded on the longarm and the wrinkles just fall out. If you're sending the back out to a longarmer, you might ask her if she needs you to press it or if she is okay with using the mist-it method. Some longarmers are nervous about applying any water to a customer's quilt, but if you give permission she might be able to do it for you. There shouldn't be a charge as it takes no time at all to do.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM

I start in the middle and work to the edge. This seems to cause less wrinkles during the process. Good Luck!