Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts? >

Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts?

Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Have noticed that yellow is not a very popular color for quilts. Is there a specific reason for this? It's cheerful, happy and sunny.

Not a popular color for who? I use it all the time and so do many others around here.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
Yellow isn't a popular color with some people..but it does wonders for a quilt..I learned that years ago..when I first started to quilt..didn't have a lot..but it can pop a quilt..I have a lot of yellow in my stash now!!
I'm with Meldoy WB! I wasn't a big fan of yellow until I saw how it can brighten a quilt and give it movement. I still don't make quilts that are mostly yellow, I like to use it like you would seasoning in cooking. A little dash adds the flavor
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 AM

Personally I can't stand the color yellow. My Mother had to have everything yellow and I got sick of it when I was growing up and swore I'd never use that color in my home.

As I have grown older I have relented a little about the color yellow. I have introduced it into my quilting just a little bit.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 AM

My husband is a painting/decorating contractor and says that the pigments to make yellow paint are more expensive than most other colors. Maybe that affects the usage in fabric dying too.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:14 AM

I have a LOT of perennial flower beds and lean very heavily on blue/pink/purple/white, the cooler tones. I'm not a fan of orange flowers at all and also orange/red and yellow/orange. I have a few bright light yellow flowers scattered here and there and it does 'pop'. Ithink it just made it's way over into my quilts but I absolutely love the blue and yellow quilts. I made 3 sets of blocks for the 'In the Garden' swap and my favorite is the yellow/blue. In fact, if I had enough material for a quilt I would of kept them for myself and made a quilt. :) Go figure!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 AM

I love purple green and yellow in quilts. When I look thru all the quilts I have they all pretty much have yellow in them somewhere and in varying degrees.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 AM

Just finished a Yellow Brick Road quilt with blue and yellow and love it! I much prefer working on bright cheerful colors!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 AM

I think yellow goes with a lot of colors, I love yellow and purple,yellow /brown,yellow/black,yellow/red etc. Ilove yellow and blue.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 AM

I love yellow and I think it improves most quilts...just have to get the right shade. My favorite shade of yellow is a soft buttery-pale gold color. I think with most colors it is a matter of shade.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 AM

Just recently I made a quilt using yellow and orange. Although it seemed pretty bright, I guess it was just a change from my usual palette that made me wonder about my choice. It really did look nice, so hopefully I'll try to incorporate it into more quilts in the future.