Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix >

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

Old 06-04-2011, 05:32 AM

Check craigslis also. I saw a few out there and asked them if they would ship and they said yes. One add said 10 for a 30 gallon bag of fabric. I will look for the ad and send you the link.

Originally Posted by pjemark
I'm not saying that we are doing horrible- But , it has been hard. My husband was laid off for 13 months, and we are trying to help our kids with their student loans etc--yadda yadda- yadda- so I'm looking at all of the threads about 1. stashes 2. yard sales. I think I'm going to start really really thinking about seeing how much fabric- cheap fabric- i can obtain from yard sales. I mean- you can have a lota lota fun for a little little bit o money! And someone with my tastes- the yard sale circut is perfect because I like the retro- but not quite vintage stuff--perfect! and as i said in another post- u start with the stash- and then you go to the LQS and add to it if you need to. only thing about that is- i know we should support our local businesses- but- you know what- what if we cant afford to?
Old 06-04-2011, 05:40 AM

My daughter goes to yard sales more than I do. SHe has a baby and would like to stay at home with him so that is where she gets his clothes etc. She called me last week and said she found a box of fabric marked $10. Not my kind of fabric but cheap/ It is almost all 30"s reproductions, I am a batik girl. It was about 110 yards of fabric for $5. Couldn't pass it up. I am working on various donation quilts out of it.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:46 AM

I was layed off in January 2009 and was devistated. I tried to go back in December 2009 in the same industry, but it just was not the same. I have been doing like every one else. Don't forget to check Goodwill. Sometimes the have some great finds but the prices have increased. Good Luck on all of our searches for fabric.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:02 AM

I get a lot of my fabrics from yard sales and trades and someone on this board was gracious enough to send me some. I think we are all in tight spots right now.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:33 AM

There are some really great ideas in this thread. Thanks for starting it. Yard sale clothing - good idea.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Check out FreeCycle, never can tell what will come up there.
And if you have something to give, you can ask for any extra fabrics anyone might be getting rid of. Moving, divorce, cleaning out parents' homes, etc, lots of folks just want rid of it and don't want to throw it out.
I got off the Freecycle list because it was 90% people asking for things, not giving away. Wonder if that's just in my area?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:50 AM

The other day was cleaning out guest room closet and came across a blanket that I have no idea where it came from. It is off white, nice and soft. I had a charity quilt top done so I pinned it to the blanket and quilted it with meander stitching. It came out great. I saved by not using fabric for backing and not using batting. It is nice and soft and snuggly. Then the lightbulb came on, Why can't I do this with other quilts, especially with the nicer blankets you can find at yard sales, at least with charity quilts or those I give away to friends and family.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Also, watch your local area announcements and newspaper ads for church rummage sales. I would ask them if they had anything that they didn't find worthy to put out for the sale and see if they would be willing to let you have them. When they are finished they usually donate the left overs to a local charity. Also the thrift stores throw out tons of clothing that they don't feel worthy of putting out for sale because they may have a rip or missing buttons. You can always ask them to save some of them for you as rags. I have seen dumpster loads of clothing thrown away behind the local thrift stores. They simply don't have time to repair or wash items unworthy of sale but would probably be glad to know that someone can use them.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Hello, Aside from fabric help, if you have children with student loans, are you aware of IBR? IBR was hidden into the Obama health plan, it has given GREAT relief to my two sons. You should check it out:

http://www.ibrinfo.org
Old 06-04-2011, 08:17 AM

sometimes Goodwill or Salvation Army has fabric or cotton clothing that can be cut up. Yard sales are a good way to go too.Ya get what ya can when ya can. What you make of it is up to you. We all could learn a lesson in frugality(is that a word?)