Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix >

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

Old 06-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by pjemark
yea- i am too impatient for estate sales which i think are probably a good place to look- but i really want to start looking at the yard sales. I had to work this friday but next week???
Any thrift store, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc have great fabric finds - It is my favorite place to fabric shop
Old 06-04-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I buy fabric from all different places. I'm not afraid to cut up clothes. I saw the local thrift shop just dump bags of clothing into the dumpster. I asked why and they said that they were given more than they'll ever sell. So into the dumpster it went.
And we keep getting calls from resale places all the time asking for donations! ?????
Isn't it sad? I told one girl in there that I'm a quilter, and she saves me 100% cotton clothes or flannels. I've made tons of donation quilts out of them, and a local laundry-mat donates the use of the washers as long as I can show that I've donated the quilt(s) I've made. :) Now that's service!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:20 PM

A thrift store near me has a periodic sale of clothing. All that will fit in a grocery bag for $4. Amazing what I have found to quilt with.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 PM

I don't think anyone should feel badly about buying fabric at Good Will, estates, garage sales. If it is good quality, it will make into a beautiful project. No one said when we started quilting it would be a requirement to only use LQS fabric. So continue to enjoy what you make and keep posting all the beautiful items we see here on the Quilting Board.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 PM

I've been lucky posting ads on freecycle.com and you may want to give it a try.I also go to the Goodwill Clearance Center. I've found bags of remnants and actual yardage for less than $5.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
The other day was cleaning out guest room closet and came across a blanket that I have no idea where it came from. It is off white, nice and soft. I had a charity quilt top done so I pinned it to the blanket and quilted it with meander stitching. It came out great. I saved by not using fabric for backing and not using batting. It is nice and soft and snuggly. Then the lightbulb came on, Why can't I do this with other quilts, especially with the nicer blankets you can find at yard sales, at least with charity quilts or those I give away to friends and family.
Long ago, when I was a kid, lightweight blankets were used in the center of the quilt sandwich, before they invented all the different kinds of batting we have today.
Thin blankets make a wonderful quilt lining because they are so easy to sew the quilting stitches through.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:27 PM

One thing the LQS do is offer good advice and help and often classes, the joys of fellowship with other quilters!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Google Goddess

have fun!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:34 PM

get your fabric as and when you can .Dont` feel guilty but enjoy.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:37 AM

Sheets and pillow cases at thrifts centers! I just bought a king size sheet last week for $1.00. Same fabric on bolt at Joanns, $7.99 yrd (on sale). Pillow cases were .25 each. I'm very excited to cut into the sheet it is blue and white plaid and with a fitted sheet as a bonus piece. it doesn't matter where the fabric comes from, as long as you enjoy bringing it to your sewing table. Good luck!