Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you cut fabric on? >

What do you cut fabric on?

What do you cut fabric on?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 AM

I purchased the Bed risers from Bed Bath and Beyond and put them under a table that I purchased from Lowes, K Mart, Walmart or any place that sells those plastic 4 ft or 8 ft tables. If you put two together (8 risers) you have a nice wide space to use for cutting. I also use my kitchen island for cutting with my large mat placed on it.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 AM

I wouldn't be without my cutting table from Joann's. Not only do I use it for cutting and assembly in my quilt room, but I've used it for yard sales, special presentations and other purposed when I needed a large space higher than my dining room table. I used to have my embroidery machine set up on it. Worked great as I also have a bad back and can't do the bend and cut.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 AM

I have one from JoAnn's. It's OK but not as sturdy as I like. It's in the garage and I use it when doing projects there. I have an extra wide kitchen counter/eating bar and I use it with my large Martelli mat. Also use my large ironing board that sits atop of my sewing cabinet leaf in my sewing room. It's as wide as the Martelli mat and much longer so can iron seams as well as cut- have it on bed risers. But for big jobs, like cutting out the entire quilt pattern my favorite is the kitchen.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 AM

I have an old kitchen table in my sewing room and I have it on bed risers, you can buy them at BBB and they're pretty cheap.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 AM

I used my ironing board yesterday and boy what a difference it made. My back did not hurt at all and it beat running up and down the stairs just to cut a few things (not that I couldn't have used the exercise). It is not wide enough to do major work on but now I know the correct hieght my cutting table should be, I just need to find one. I looked the Horn Hi Lo up on line and it looks like it is only available in the UK and WAY too expensive for me. It will be on my wish list until I can spend that kind of money. I have some bills to pay off first! But it does look like it would be perfect!!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:14 AM

At church quilting room we use one of the tables similar to JoAnns, but sturdier. We bought it off Craigslist so we don't know the mfg. It is wonderful. Height can be an issue as I am almost 5'11". Ideas to raise tables are always useful. I have bed risers under a small table that holds my embroidery machine. I have a triple dresser that I would like to use for cutting. Plan to take mirror off and find a way to make it taller. Think I will need lumber cut to feet under each leg so it is really stable. Thinking ......can't do anything till DD's home is built and she takes the bed in the sewing room.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 AM

I cut on the granite counter on my kitchen island........I am 5'2" and it is just the right hight for me..Last year, I got one of the large Martellli cutting mats, and it just fits on the end of the island counter.....
Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 AM

I was fortunate to find free kitchen cabinets from craigslist. I put a slab of laminate counter top from Lowe's on top. It is the perfect height for me.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 AM

I have an island in my kitchen and use it to cut fabric. My husband has just made a cabinet for my sewing room. He used a sink base cabinet, made two very deep drawers for fabric and topped it with recycled flooring. I put my large mat on it and now don't have to go from one room to another to cut.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:30 AM

I just bought two bookcases and intended to put a counter top over that. The cases were the correct height for me and I'd be able to put my quilt books & such in them, freeing up space for more fabric storage! Then, I found out we were moving, so the bookcases are still in their boxes and I hope to have room for my sewing stuff at the new place. Prior to this I've used an inexpensive folding table lifted up on bed raisers. It worked well.