Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you cut fabric on? >

What do you cut fabric on?

What do you cut fabric on?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
I use my island bar.. if I'm cutting a lot..a quilting friend has one of those tables and she loves it..loves the fact 2 sides drop down and she can push it up against a wall.. when not in use!
I use my peninsula bar. It's convenient to have 3 sides that I can cut from. The height is good, but I find I have better leverage when cutting at the dining table because it puts me over the work. I do have to limit my cutting time because of the back, but I pace myself.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 AM

my husband made blocks to put under my table legs so it would be the right height for me
Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 AM

My father made taler sawhorses for my mother, lay on a piece of plywood and it is whatever height you like. If you are cutting smaller things, just use your adjustable ironing board.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:45 AM

I just love my cutting table from Joann's. I've had it for about 1 1/2 years. No back issues.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 AM

I tooi have a bad back - I out the mat on the island in my kitchen and don't have to bend over. If you don't have an island, I agree with the kitchen counter idea. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:13 AM

I bought a table at Staples and put it on bed risers and it works out fine.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 AM

I agree with Bluelady.....Joann's table is wiggly. Not enough to throw it out, but annoying, anyway.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by oldcatlady
I have a bad back and cutting fabric on my dining room table kills me. Has anyone used those cutting tables from JoAnn's? I was thinking about getting one but wanted to see what you all had to say first. Thanks for any input!
I have an old three drawer dress on which I put a piece of plywood that is one side covered with a laminate. The plywood is 30 x 55, with a big cutting board on top, leaving room for a light, and other items. You could easily make it any size you want. It is counter height and works great and you get to use the drawers in the dresser to store fabric! I keep my fat quarters in a couple of the drawers.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Hi,

I was very lucky on Mothering Sunday this year.... DD and DH bought me this!

It is a dream!!!!! It goes up by millimetres so you can adjust it to exactly where you want it, when you want it. The cutting mat is huge and I love it!

When not is use... it pivots upright so takes up very little space.

Hugs
Oh, I'm so envious. That would be just perfect for me! I had a JoAnn's table and used it but it took up too much room open and closed. I finally gave it to someone who promised to give it a good home. Right now,I generally cut seated (if I can) at a 4 x 2' table, I have a card table too, so if I need to cut bigger pieces, I push them together and put the cutting board on top. It's a pain to set up and take down and takes up my entire living roomwhen up but it's what I've got to work with.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Ok, so maybe being under 5' isn't all that bad! I've never found a surface that is too low for me.....however, I do have a problem with the dining table being too high when I sit down for a meal! :?