Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing... >

Paper Piecing...

Paper Piecing...

Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Paper piecing is my favorite technique :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-04-2011, 01:57 PM

I tried paper piecing for the first time for one of the swaps I'm in and it was a disaster! I think the block was too small and there were too many parts, the seams were practically on top of each other. There was no way anyone could quilt that! So I quickly dumped that idea. I'll try again later on a bigger block for me when I have more time. It is certainly something I want to accomplish because there are some really beautiful quilts I want to make that are paper pieced. I think it is something that I'm going to need a lot of practice on!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
..do you "really" enjoy this! I have never used my seam ripper as much in years as I have the last day and a half! I have to apologize to Candlequilter, I did down load her pattern and attempted to make her paper pieced block (attemped being the key word here). I have never paper pieced before and I readily admit....I did not do very well! I sewed, I ripped (I do know that you can only sew a paper pattern twice before it is in shreds! ask me how I know!) I made one, it was wonky, not to be discouraged I made another one...wonky too! I am nothing if not consistant! I have no idea what I am doing wrong..so I sewed the top quarters together, added a sashing, sewed the bottom together and added sashing and made a table runner! It doesn't look half bad if you don't try to match them up LOL Will practice free motion quilting on it...oh yes, I am free motion challenged too! So...just how long does it take to be able to paper piece...? Just wondering. :roll:
You said wonky. Does that mean as in kite? I have done many pping blocks and this one had me pulling out hairs. I got kites myself. No way to trim them into square blocks. DO NOT feel bad. I got so frustrated after two attempts that I put it in a box and marked it FAIL. Now it will sit there and haunt me.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:26 PM

I'm still learning but getting to like it better as my skills improve. One of the ladies in my bee said about me "Give her two threads and four inches of fabric and she'll make something". So I have a reputation to uphold now! For me, the small patterns are easier.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jemma
i am left/right challange so my pieces never fitted when flipped over---i compensated by using bigger pieces [some waste]but it solved my problems---carol doake solved the rest-------persist it is worth it
Oh see, there it is...the left/right challenge...I told my husband...how can this piece NOT fit. I hold it up, sure enough it's big enough, then I would sew it and try flip it...was not big enough...rip..rip..rip. I checked at the library and they have Carol's book so I am going to check it out . I will be paper piecing my little heart out!
I must say...I do like my table runner and will attempt to post a pic as son as I get a new battery for my camera!
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I have found that in every task that people try, they give up to easily and stop trying. I here it all the time. I can't cook, I can't garden, I can't do math, etc. Unless we stop this mindset we will always be unaccomplished and never enjoy creating anything. You have to keep at it. It takes more than one try and more than 100 for some of us, like me. But I did it and got it, eventually, and now I love it!
Keep on practicing and then show us your accomplishments!
peace :D
Old 06-05-2011, 04:45 PM

love paper-piecing, hate removing the paper!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM

OK will try upload/download my candlequilter star...talbe runner...it's just the pieced top at the moment. Sorry, it's laying over the back of a chair.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-207291.jpe
Views:	64
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	207297  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 PM

I just realized I should have rotated the picture..sorry~
Old 06-05-2011, 06:06 PM

Wow that topper is beautiful... I love pp and it took me years to finaly get it. I spent over 3 days trying to get that candlequilters star done, but I kept at it and got a nice one made and I sent it to her so she should be getting it maybe tomororw or the next day. HAve a great day, HUggies, Fay